CDLong

Re: Need some guidance with my garden about improving SOIL

Great info, thanks to you all!

imafan26
Mod

Seeds store for different lengths of time depending on the seed. Some seeds lose viability quickly and are not worth saving from year to year. Corn, papaya, zuchhini are the ones that have the poorest germination rate as they get older so I start fresh with those or buy starts if I only need a couple of plants. Most seeds if stored cool and dry will last 3-5 years. I have dill and beans tht are over 10 years old and still have good viability rates. Heat and moisture will cause seeds to decay or lose viability faster. Some varieties will store longer than others.

https://www.clearcreekseeds.com/seed-viability-chart/

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

I've become a big fan of both winter and summer cover/green manure crops to be turned in later to help add organic matter to soil. (I should probably change my forum id to covercrops or koverkrops or something)! Probably a little late for this year, unless you want to devote some space to warmer weather cover crops like soybeans, buckwheat, etc. This year, I think I may do that; I might have a little extra space. :)

Usually in fall, I plant winter or annual rye, or clover for that purpose. It overwinters, then turn in in spring. 8)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”