jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Spring

Spring is here. Time to spring into action. Perhaps I will go plant some carrots. Too early for corn, beans and squash at this locale. O:)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK, I went out and put in a row of carrot seeds. Don't know if they will grow, but we went through the motions.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I suppose I should start planting carrots as well. Carrots and parsley are the only vegetable seedlings for sale at the stores at this time.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Spring is here too soon. 1000s of Birds are singing up a storm wow the birds are so loud. Trees are growing leaves and my grass needs to be cut. It was 84 degrees today and we had another big storm at 5 pm with high wind and rain. My garden is mud. Typical TN weather spring rain every day for 3 months. The Rainbow Swiss Chard and potatoes I planted are doing nothing.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

AnnaIkona wrote:I suppose I should start planting carrots as well. Carrots and parsley are the only vegetable seedlings for sale at the stores at this time.
The store is selling carrot seedlings? :?: That would be very odd, because carrots are very difficult to transplant and have them survive and not be stunted or the root all distorted. It can be done, if you really know what you are doing, but it is not easy. I expect most people that bought them will be quite disappointed in the performance. I've never seen carrot seedlings in a store.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:
AnnaIkona wrote:I suppose I should start planting carrots as well. Carrots and parsley are the only vegetable seedlings for sale at the stores at this time.
The store is selling carrot seedlings? :?: That would be very odd, because carrots are very difficult to transplant and have them survive and not be stunted or the root all distorted. It can be done, if you really know what you are doing, but it is not easy. I expect most people that bought them will be quite disappointed in the performance. I've never seen carrot seedlings in a store.

Stores sell everything as seedlings now, corn, green beans, squash, melons, all the plants that are easy to grow from seeds are $1.47 for a tray with 4 plants. Stupid people probably think they can buy 4 corn plants and grow corn. LOL There is so much dishonesty these day so the rich people can get richer, it is out of control but no surprise because is written in the Bible, 2 Timothy 3:1-4

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have always planted carrots. I like to plant the little short fat ones. My ground is such that I can't get the long ones out of the ground.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
rainbowgardener wrote:

Stores sell everything as seedlings now, corn, green beans, squash, melons, all the plants that are easy to grow from seeds are $1.47 for a tray with 4 plants. Stupid people probably think they can buy 4 corn plants and grow corn. LOL There is so much dishonesty these day so the rich people can get richer, it is out of control but no surprise because is written in the Bible, 2 Timothy 3:1-4

Yes, it is sort of wierd that they sell carrot seedlings like that. I've never bought them, so I don't know how people plant them...I can imagine that it would be hard to plant them.
And yes, Gary350, it's sort of a rip-off :? I guess they sell them for people that just began gardening, or gardening for fun; not for food.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Be sure to grow about three mature carrots for the bloom. The bees love the flowers and then you will get some seed.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its snowing. 35 degrees out.

applestar
Mod

LOTS of gardening products out there marketed as if you could grow things (better) if only you had this "sneed". :roll:

I set aside/file/trash/cancel a lot of catalogs I used to pour over avidly when I started gardening, even the better quality ones that I thought of as "Better than those other ones" because the products were made well, even if pricier. :kidding:

They up their marketing tactics in spring, so do your best to resist! :bouncey:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its Springtime in the Rockies. 32 degrees this morning, sunny and 2 inches of fresh snow on the garden. I have received 3 garden catalogs. I don't often buy from them, but prefer to get my seeds from the local Mom and Pop garden store at about one third the price of the catalog seed packets.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Rain, rain, rain, three days of it here. Garden is a mud hole. The Pussy-willow and the Poplars decided to bloom, but nothing else moving. The grass has not even greened up yet.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Same weather here! So much rain over the past few weeks and even more rain is supposed to come this week.
This year we're having a late spring :cry:

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

I lost my peas the other night....got down into the low teens. Too late to start them again for this year. Oh well, the space will get used....

imafan26
Mod

Time is ticking. I am so far behind. All I have planted so far are beans and snow peas.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You might try the Wando Pea. They have good heat tolerance. Here I can plant them July 5 for a fall crop about first week of September.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It has been in the 70s and 80s here for weeks if it would stop raining I could till the garden but it is still early to plant you can never trust mother nature.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Ya, 35 degrees F here this morning and an inch of fresh snow on everything.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

JayPoc, didn't I say recently that you had all the experience necessary to assess the risks of early plantings? Dog gone it! Those once every 10 year events get us in trouble ... if we garden for a decade or more.

The first lawn violets showed up in my yard today. What a pleasant spring day!

Jal_UT, you said somewhere that your daffodils are blooming! I saw some in the neighborhood for the first time, yesterday. Mine aren't quite there but they are in quite a lot of shade. However, I have a couple of those miniature daffies. The flowers are opening on those! I'll try to get a picture, soon ;).
Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Some lawn violets blooming here too, and the grape hyacinths. The bees are lovin the hyacinths. The Pussy Willow tree is blooming and the daffodils. This morning its 44 degrees and overcast. The lawn is just starting to green up. I tilled my garden plot in the fall. Come spring, just go plant.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Each locality will have its own problems, and planting times. I am sure that growing in Location: "hawaii, zone 12a 587 ft elev." is going to be quite different than growing in Northern Utah zone 5, at 5000 ft elevation. After a few years of gardening we will arrive at a planting schedule that will work for us. We don't plant all crops the same day. Early spring we plant the cool weather crops, later the corn beans and squash then later the cucumbers.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Other than the lawn violets ... altho' the standard daffodils should bloom soon!
Daffies.jpg
The miniature daffies

digitS'

applestar
Mod

Yep. The mini's and jonquils come up first. The minis are fragrant, too, and were holding up their heads better after heavy rain when I took the photo a couple of days ago. My minis were originally a little Easter gift flower in a 4" pot -- I planted them after Easter and they have spread. :D

My volunteer yellow peach is already blooming -- the grafted cultivar peach is only just starting to show pinkness in the buds (I took photos but they aren't much to look at :P )

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”