adery
Newly Registered

fusarium wilt and sterilizing the soil

My veggie garden has fusarium wilt and each year it keeps getting worse. I'm considering sterilizing the soil by covering it with plastic. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, so our summer season is quite short.

Have any of you done this in a cooler climate, and if so, how long did you have to leave the plastic on for to be sure that the soil was fully sterilized?

I'm guessing 6 weeks if the summer temperature is normal this year. If I could find a soil steamer to rent, that would be the best!

Thanks a bunch :)

imafan26
Mod

The best time to solarize anywhere is the hottest months of the year. For me that is July and August. Solarization will only sterilize the top 3-6 inches of soil. Fusarium is a problem here too. I would select for fusarium resistence in tomatoes and other plants and rotate your locations so as not to plant a susceptible crop in the same place year after year. Tilling the soil and good sanitation are also important.

Select resistant cultivars, remove the lower leaves, and mulch to reduce splashing. Make sure the plants have good air circulation by selectively pruning and spacing plants properly. Preventive fungicides may be necessary if humid conditions persists for a long time. Remove; bag and trash any diseased leaves. Do not compost sick plants if you are not hot composting. Sanitize your pots if you reuse them. If you had a virus, throw everything, including the pot away. Sanitize tools preferably with a torch.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”