digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: Brrrr

At the nearest Weather Service station the overnight low temperature looks like it will be: about 33°f.
The wind is about the same: 33. But, that is miles per hour and sustained with gusts to 38 mph.
The snow is lower: the WS station says it lost 1" of the 13 inches on the ground.
Here at home: temperatures might be higher, winds might be lower, snow cover might have been higher to begin with.
Me: I don't like this much.
Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

39 degrees F, about 2 feet of snow on the ground, likely more coming tonight. Nothing growing except ice. So...... I sit and play on the computer and look at old pictures.

(Can't seem to get the photo to load......? If you click the link you should be able to see it. I hope.)

pow wow

It's been snowing for three days and has finally stopped! -9.4F right now.
My little house

jasonvanorder

We have been lucky again this year. Today we have thunder showers with temps in the 40's. So far this year every time they predict a big snowstorm we get maybe 2-3 inches instead. Then it warms up a few days after and melts it all

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

After raining/snowing all night with high winds and temperatures in the 30's, it cooled down at dawn yesterday. That's right. Even with sunshine and blue sky, it was colder yesterday than overnight.

Still, there was all this street flooding! Plenty of snow everywhere, about a half inch rain, melting continued in areas with full sun - what a mess! Then the sun went down.

Temperature at 20°f this morning! Ice everywhere. I see on television that there was a fatal car/train accident not far from here. No crossing arm across that intersection. It's not difficult to imagine what happened ...

Steve

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Rain, rain, rain........ 40 degrees F and breezy. We still have a pretty good snow cover, but it is shrinking up some with the rain. Its OK, in this high desert country we are always happy to get water.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

High 60's predicted today; low 70's tomorrow. Nice, but this is what triggers fruit trees to bloom early almost every year, with the result that the fruit will freeze later and die. They say in this area we only have a good fruit year about once every 7 years. :( But I guess we'll see what happens.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Overcast, 31 degrees, foggy, looks a lot like winter. No bees flying.
Did I ever share my family cookbook?

donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/Lofthouse%20Family%20Cookbook.pdf

ACW

jal_ut wrote:Overcast, 31 degrees, foggy, looks a lot like winter. No bees flying.
Did I ever share my family cookbook?

donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/Lofthouse%20Family%20Cookbook.pdf
First timeI have seen it , fascinating reading ,and only as far as page 29!

jasonvanorder

Looking good this week Mid 40s low 50's all week and then 60s this weekend. If it stays dry I might be able to get the tiller out.

applestar
Mod

Hey, I bet you folks with tons of snow could easily make one of these! :-()

https://www.yokotekamakura.com/01_event/ ... tumei.html

We hardly ever get enough snowfall, but when kids were little, we used to dig a hollow/cave in the side of giant snowpiles the street plow left behind (we live on a "circle"/cull-de-sac) if the snow was clean enough. :D

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Fun applestar. Haven't done that in quite a while. :)

Today 28 degrees F and sunny. Not a cloud in sight. A foot of snow still on the ground. The only thing growing is ice.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

February 24, snowing, 22 degrees. Won't be planting anything this week. :(

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

AppleStar would it be okay to do that construction with whale femurs during about 90 minutes of Arctic sunlight? After completion, light could be from a single oil lamp with a lichen wick. If it is too cold overnight, the dogs will need to be brought inside. Not so much for their benefit but for the humans ...

Three days running, it has stopped with snow flurries and the sun has broken through the overcast during the afternoon. I don't think my greenhouse interior receives 1 drop of sunshine later than 3pm on any February day but a few hours of early sun really helps and the buckets of snow I put in there on Sunday should have melted so that I can water the bok choy again. It is a very nice afternoon right now ...

Everything was white outdoors at daylight this morning but the skiff of snow soon melted off the roads altho it is only now above freezing. Old snow from last fall and continuing covers about 50% of my lawn. Shade and shovel, you know.

Snow forecast for tomorrow afternoon but, just maybe, we will have morning sunshine for the bok choy and a flat of potting soil and onion seeds!
Steve
Last edited by digitS' on Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We now have about 2 hours more sunlight ..

. (well, light, at least) than the shortest day of the year ..

. up here (or down here) at 48°N latitude!

Steve

pow wow

It's 6:30am and 1.4F outside. Should warm up after today.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

30 degrees, overcast and snowing. I went out and got on the Big Green and moved snow off the driveway.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

17 degrees here this evening. 18 inches of snow on the lot. Seems like winter.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

A whoppin 44 degrees this morning. The snow is off the plot. The sun is shining. I reckon the ground is still too damp for much planting, but it is gettin there. The daffodils are coming up, but no blooms yet.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

after weeks (months?) of hardly-winter weather (fruit trees blooming early, spring bulbs up), it's 17F this morning...

that'll teach 'em, I guess. I tried to warn 'em...

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It got up to 65 degrees today and the snow is off the plot, so I went out and planted some spinach and lettuce seeds. No tilling! Just scratched a small furrow and put in seeds then smoothed it over. We will see what happens? Oh, no fruit trees blooming here yet. I reckon we will get some more snow before its done. The daffodils are up and growing. Have not bloomed yet.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Daffodils and Pussy-willow are blooming. No fruit tree bloom yet. its 41 degrees and raining. So to amuse myself I decided to bake some bread.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”