NewRiverGeorge

Crimson Clover

Hello everyone,

I planted a combination Ryegrass and Crimson Clover this Fall and cannot wait for Spring to see how it turns out. This is my first year of using a cover crop and I am liking what I am reading about the benefits of Crimson Clover in this role.

I do however have a question for all of you. From what I have read Crimson Clover appears to attract bees. While I do notice I have bees on a regular basis in my garden, I cannot help to think if I planted a patch of this close to my garden, it could only help.
Like many things in life timing is everything, so when should the clover be planted in relation to garden crops to maximize pollination of the crops?

Thank you in advance,

NRG

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Johnny's selected seeds catalogue says:

"Where winter is above -10°F (-23.3°C), it is sown in late summer, is dormant in winter, resumes growth in spring, and flowers in May. "

Also, here a USDA website:

plants.usda.gov/plantguide/pdf/pg_trin3.pdf

Maybe you saw this site already? Looked all this up, because this is my first year to try crimson clover too; was interested in the details. :)

I don't know how long the flowers last, but I guess if you delayed the planting it would delay the blooming.

bri80

I always use crimson clover as a winter cover crop here in the mild PNW. As a cover crop, you want to dig it in before it flowers as the stalks will get woody if you let it flower.

I don't know about using it as a bee attractor. If you already have a lot of bees in your yard/garden, you're probably already doing things right. I'm a fan of the philosophy of making my entire yard a place for life, so I plant a wide diversity of flowers at many different times of years and the bees are always happy, I don't think about it too much.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Last year I co planted my clover in fall with some annual rye. (as opposed to cereal rye) I noticed that even though the clover sprouts only after a couple days, and the grass much later, the grass catches up and eventually chokes out the clover. If planted in warmer season, maybe they would do equally well? Or, maybe give the clover a headstart, then over seed with some grass?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like you already have plenty of bees coming to your garden. I would not worry about it, unless you are considering getting into beekeeping? A lot of gardeners also keep a few bees for the honey and the pollination.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”