Voodoo
Newly Registered

New vegetable garden

Folks --

I do not know how to garden. I have a south facing portion of my yard measuring 70' X 3' with irrigation and it is presently growing grass. What would be a good plan to prepare this area for growing vegetables? Specifically how should I remove the grass -- remove it like sod? Or kill it with a chemical and till it under?

Thank you,
Patrick

imafan26
Mod

Does this narrow strip have a wall or fence on the other side. If it has a wall how much shadow does it cast?
Sod can be removed with a sod cutter or you can do it with a flat spade. Turn the grass upside down and put newspaper layers (at least 4 sheets thick and compost over it and it will rot down and make a good planting media for next year.

You could lasagna by putting down cardboard over the grass and layering browns and greens over it but it needs to be layered 18 inches high, but will be ready for planting in the Spring. No till gardening would not require that you remove the grass as long as you don't have any persistent weeds.

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/lane/s ... osting.pdf

https://www.organicgardening.com/learn-a ... ut-digging

Voodoo
Newly Registered

OK thanks. I'll cut the grass and flip it over, newspaper and compost.

You asked about the sunlight. No obstructions. Full sun from sunrise until 4-5pm as she sets below adjacent woods to the west.

Patrick

imafan26
Mod

Sounds like a perfect spot.

jbest123

Voodoo wrote:Folks --

I do not know how to garden. I have a south facing portion of my yard measuring 70' X 3' with irrigation and it is presently growing grass. What would be a good plan to prepare this area for growing vegetables? Specifically how should I remove the grass -- remove it like sod? Or kill it with a chemical and till it under?

Thank you,
Patrick
Have you considered raised beds with hard sides. I switched in 2007 and practice no till. Had I switched when I was young, I can't imagine how much work it would have saved me.

benali

Sounds like a great spot for a garden. I've turned over grass (sod) in the fall or winter, then by spring you've fed the soil with this natural "compost" and it's ready to produce great vegetables. Have fun!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Or kill it with a chemical and till it under?
I would stay away from chemicals.

You say till it under. Do you have a tiller? Or are you suggesting tilling it with a shovel? In any case if you turn the sod now and it dries, it will kill the grass. The organic matter will enrich the soil. Have a great garden.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”