Susan W
Greener Thumb

Tomato-spinach

Figured everyone needs a chuckle here and there.....

I put some spinach starts and seeds (different pots) in a couple of large containers a few weeks ago. Then re-worked a 4 x 4 bed, added stuff including the enriched dirt/compost/worms. Set out 9 broccoli starts (purchased) and some spinach seed. Well, thought the spinach was doing just fine as I saw the lance shaped 1st leaves. The 1st true leaves growing irregular, mitten shaped. Tomatoes! Tomato seeds from the compost are doing their thing, along with a few squash seeds. The seeds sprouting/growing in the container are, so far, spinach.

Next move is to pull out the odd seedlings, then add some spinach. As it is Oct, may look for a few pretty starts.

applestar
Mod

How are your tomatoes -- errr -- spinach doing? :>

Spinach is one crop I seem to have trouble growing. I think I need to add more lime where I plant them.
...what little do grow are first course on the slugs' menu :x

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks for asking, apple. The situation just gets more interesting, as per usual.

Spinach seeds in ground, a couple are actually showing as spinach. Overall situation Fail! But, the stuff coming up from the compost additive most interesting. Tomatoes and squash, just pull out, recycle to compost. Some weed things, not sure what, but weedy. Now a few have come up with scalloped leaves, and I figured the usual weedy thing that sprawls across lawn and garden, shallow root, pulls out, grows all winter. Other scalloped leaf plant I have is Anise Hyssop. Well, a couple of these stray starts are growing up with erect stems. Anise Hyssop! Then another few have distinct start pattern, and indeed salad burnet. I figure to try to lift out the salad burnet and put in small pots. It winters green, and may make the transplant.
In another area I dumped some of the enriched dirt compost, another seedling(s) showing up. A friend thought carrot, but may be dill.

Back to spinach? I am thinking I am destined to buying starts. This is 2nd time fail. Need to keep putting some out to feed the slugs. Sigh.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”