lukeout007

Winter Time Crops? Seattle Area (Zone 8b)

Just curious what people in the same area (or zone) have had success growing October-March?

I have a greenhouse with a lot of space available but very little space inside the house.

Hoping to find things that can survive some snow/lots of frost.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not in your area, but with your mild-ish winters and greenhouse protection, I would guess you could grow chard, spinach, broccoli all through the winter.

patientx3
Newly Registered

You can grow kale all winter. Its supposed to taste better after a frost.

applestar
Mod

You could probably add peas and fava/broad beans to the list. :D

Radicchio, start daikon now, maybe parsnips and rutabagas, kohlrabi and Brussels sprouts (were they mentioned?) ....

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I would call it winter harvesting not growing. Low heat and light pretty slow growing.

Lettuce
Peas
Asian greens
Chard
Beets
Carrots
Favas
Garlic
Soil building cover crops
Spinach
Kale

Eric

RosieRenee

I also live in the Seattle area and just this year bought what I consider to be the best gardening book I have ever found for our area, The Maritime Northwest Garden Guide[/I], produced by Seattle Tilth. It gives month by month lists of annuals, vegetables, herbs and more which can be planted in our climate, inside, outside and under cloche. I have had it since January, and it has been incredibly accurate; I can't wait to see what each month promises! If you buy no other garden book, buy this one! And according to the book, September is still good for cilantro, arugula, mustard, spinach and lettuce - certain varieties, which are all listed.

Another good source for our unique climate is Territorial Seed Company, located in Oregon and definitely familiar with the coastal northwest.

Good luck!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Speaking of Territorial. Did you see the big shift in their planting chart?

New chart

Eric

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”