gunsmokex
Cool Member

Re: What do I spray corn silks to prevent corn borer/worms?

jal_ut wrote:Interesting that there are few bugs at all this year in my garden. No corn worms. I think it has something to do with the winter we had and the bugs didn't survive it well. I am not complaining.

I think 3 or 4 drops of oil on the silks as they start to turn brown will do the job. Here it seems the bug light is enough. For sure things vary from year to year.

What to do with all the corn? Eat some, freeze some, (We prefer to cut it off the cob for freezing.) Give some away, sell some, and still have a bit to go mature then dry for feeding the birds this winter.

I checked out a few ears today and no corn borers :-) Nice looking patch of corn you have there Jal. We cut ours off the cob as well, I forget what the exact recipe is but I'll definitely share it once I find out what it is again (the best recipes are stored in someones head and not written down). I just traded some of my corn for labor, all you can eat corn and in return I get my Polaris 250 Big Boss 4x6 tuned up and running properly.
imafan26 wrote:I didn't get any corn ear worm this year. I did plant a tight husk variety but some of the corn grew funny. One had the tassels coming out of the ear and one ear grew outside of the husk. I have had the tassel coming out of the ear before, but a first for husk-less corn.
Hmm wow that sounds interesting, the actual ear somehow escaped the husk silked and then started growing? Thats awesome! You should have photographed it as some kind of corn documentary, maybe timelapsed so one could see the kernels developing lol. Guess I never saw any tight husk varieties at the greenhouse though, next year I'll be going with true organic corn seed and not GMO corn.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”