pudgysmom

How late can I plant bush/pole beans and limas in NC?

This is my second year with raised bed gardening in the piedmont (central) area of NC. My question is. . . I'm trying to do a 3 season garden (spring, summer, fall/winter). I'm waiting for 2 beds of peas to finish and was wondering how late I will be able to plant bush and/or pole green beans or even limas? I been researching and it seems like I might have better luck with the green beans going in later? Is there a date when it will be 'too' late?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I'm central South Carolina and plant a succession of green beans for the entire season. The first planting is in April, and additional plantings are made all season long until about 60-70 days before the first frost. We generally harvest green beans from late May through November. While beans will make a second crop, I find that it is best just to jerk the plants after the first big harvest. The second harvest is pretty weak, so fresh planted beans will be a lot more productive. When our first batch of beans starts to bloom, we usually plant a second planting in other beds. After the beans are harvested from the first bed, the plants are removed, and are promptly reseeded. That way there is a continuous supply coming from as few as two bed spaces.

I prefer to plant succession planting of bush beans as opposed to planting pole beans which require more pampering, supporting, and effort.

LGT

Probably the latest you can plant them to get at least one crop is mid to late July. I wouldn't push it too much past that because I would be scared that frost might get them.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If you stop planting mid July, you could give up three weeks or more of solid harvest. I may plant at late at early to mid September. The beans and effort amount to pennies, and the prospect of a late harvest is well worth the small effort. As mentioned in the previous post, the July planted beans will still be producing, but down to a trickle after that first big crop. I would rather have a big crop setting in late October, to give a last very good harvest before the first frost hits. Usually that comes in mid to late November in this area.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

easiest thing to do is research your first frost date, read your pack of seeds for days to maturity, and count backwards. Maybe give yourself a 2 week cushion. So if your first frost is usually around October 15th, and your beans are 80 days to maturity...that would put you mid July for planting. Make sense?

pudgysmom

Thanks for the helpful advice. The rule of thumb suggested to plant the second bed when the first if flowering is very helpful and easy to remember. One more question, is there any problem with planting beans in the same beds over and over? Next year should I move to two other beds for my beans and rotate from year to year?

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

rotation is always a good idea when possible. Otherwise, augment the soil well with all manners of compost, etc.....

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”