SLC

Good to know it looks good cuz honestly I don't know. I am just a second time gardener and I am learning as I go along. Last year I learned I needed a raised bed and this year I learned I will have to plant tomatoes further apart! It's just hard cuz I only have a small garden. But good to know the corn looks good so I will know for the future, and I didnt take any chances, I helped with the pollination as much as I could. It will be interesting to see how the corn in the middle comes out cuz it was hard to get in there to help pollinate.

Brandywinegirl

JLC I hope you don't mind me asking a question here. This is my first time growing corn. Because of the weather, the tassels are not completely growing up. They tipped over. Should I get a brush and transfer what little pollen I get onto the silk? Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks -helpsos-

TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

SLC wrote:maybe could have waited another couple days??? . . . . Either way, I grilled it up, and it was sooooooooooooooooo crispy, juicy and tasty!!!!
Your taste buds are your best guide. If the corn tasted good, then you picked it at the right time!

SLC

Brandywinegirl wrote:JLC I hope you don't mind me asking a question here. This is my first time growing corn. Because of the weather, the tassels are not completely growing up. They tipped over. Should I get a brush and transfer what little pollen I get onto the silk? Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks -helpsos-
That would probably work? I didn't even think of that. I literally held one hand underneath the tassle while I pulled along the tassle gently with my other hand so the pollen would fall into my hand, and then I sprinkled and rubbed my hands together over the silk. I even pulled off some of the little pieces that stick out from the tassle (I don't know what they are called) and rubbed them in my hands so it sprinkled onto the silk. I don't even know if they contain pollen, but I did it anyway!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”