Davyd

Cabbage growth

Perhaps a stupid question, perhaps not as I truly do not know what to expect (and I've done a search but haven't seen a question asked)... I've never grown cabbages before, and my son brought one home for a class competition to grow the biggest possible. It's growing pretty darn good and we're about to transplant it to the great outdoors - but it's still a tall stalky looking plant. Now, last I heard and seen these things are supposed to form heads. When does this happen? And since this IS a contest to get a big one, any tips on making it as large as possible?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Usually you would see a head growing just after germination. The head consists of the leaves that fold over on another. But, you should start with about two leaves atop the stalk.

To grow the best cabbages possible, purchase a few bags of compost and a few bags of manure from a local nursery. Work both of these into the soil (I'd buy either some steer manure or some mushroom manure) before planting.

When you do plant the cabbages outside add a handful of kelp meal to the holes before placing the plants in. This is a slow release organic fertilizer that will feed your plants throughout the growing season.

Look up cabbage and companion plants on google to see if there is anything that you can plant to discourage insect pests like those darn cabbage butterflies (white guys).

And plant some peas nearby which will aid in the fixation of Nitrogen that will be added to the soil.

And (last but not least) fertilize your cabbages each week with liquid fish or liquid seaweed fertilizer diluted as per the instructions on the bottle.

Davyd

Thanks, opabinia. Truly helpful. So that means my 10" tall stalk with 14 leaves (plus growing new ones weekly) is a freak of nature (pun intended)? Maybe I should prune it! :shock: :P

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, it could just be that this cultivar as a whole grows in the way that you describe.

Also, it could be the soil conditions or the weather, or both.

By the sounds of it, these are going to be monstrous cabbages! Use the methods that I have decribed and they will grow even larger and be healthy plants that are more resistant to disease.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”