Angela5237

Spinach Plants!

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anybody has ever grown spinach- and if so, did you have any problems with it? I have about 50-60 spinach plants in my yard right now (crazy, I know) and the leaves are growing in with what looks like burn marks. There are sections of the leaves that get so thin they look like plastic that you can see through. I'm not sure if this is a fungus or what.
If anyone knows anything about spinach, your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!![/b]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

New York city?

Looks like your temps are mid 80's to upper 90's not favorable spinach weather.

Eric

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'll second what Eric said. Spinach loves cool weather. Now if you would like a spinach like taste in a vegetable that does much better in warm/hot weather, try some Swiss Chard. It may do better if planted where it will get some shade but is slower to bolt or fade in your current type weather like you are seeing with your spinach.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with all the above. What looks like burn marks are burn marks... sun burn. Providing some shade will help, but basically you would be better off to plant again in the fall. My fall planted spinach over wintered in our mild winter and was my best spinach crop ever in the spring. I planted in Oct. You could plant in Aug for an actual fall crop.

Angela5237

Yes I'm pretty close to NYC. I never grew spinach before so I had no idea what those marks were. Thanks everybody for your responses-it has been really hot lately and the poor plants are shriveling. Is there any way I can save them at this point?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have never seen that in spinach. Just yesterday I picked the last of my second crop of spinach. It was a beautiful dark green color. Yes, it has been hot here too, in the mid 90s. Yes, we have the strongest brightest sunlight here too. High altitude and low pollution. This had full sun from the day it was planted.

I don't know what to suggest, but my experience with spinach says it is likely not sunburned.

When was it planted? Have you cut some good leaves from it? Is it about to bolt? Perhaps the malady is age related? Older spinach about to bolt will often have punky leaves on the lower/older leaves.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”