sisquatch

what's your favorite way to keep rabbits away?

we just moved to a new house a few weeks ago and I've discovered that we have a family of rabbits living in our back yard. they already like to hang out by our "garden" even though we have nothing planted yet.

obviously a fence is the best choice for detouring them, but I've been hearing of other suggestions like pinwheesl, human hair, chili powder etc. and I'm curious to know what's worked best for everyone else.

applestar
Mod

Rabbit wire fence. :D Narrow openings in the bottom keeps even baby bunnies out, but larger openings towards the top allows you to reach in for harvesting, etc. Height is short enough to step over -- excellent leg lift exercises especially with gardening boots on :wink: -- but effectively keeps them from jumping in. 8)

Yellowsnow
Cool Member

Yup, a fence. We put one up every year to keep the rabbits, groundhogs, and dogs out of the garden. It's amazing the damage that can be caused by 1 rabbit or groundhog. My dogs are tomato thieves and will chow down when nobody is watching.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

APBT.

Oh yeah a fence too. :lol:

The fence keeps them both out. :wink:

The two of them working together.
[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/Gardening/DSC05584.jpg[/img]

sisquatch

did any of you bury your fence so far into the ground? I read that it should be at least 6 inches underground to prevent them from digging. how necessary do you think that is? it sounds like it'd be a pain in the butt.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>a pain in the butt.

it is. questions?

whether your rabbit friends are desperate / determined enough to dig under the fence is a question of other readily available food sources. if it's more attractive to burrow, they will.

an alternative to "burying" is to bend the fencing bottom outward 8-12" and just pin the bottom of the L-shape to the ground. theory holds the critters will run up against the fence, try to dig down right at the fence line. they hit "metal" and get discouraged.

the down side to this approach is mowing the grass.... you don't want the mower blade picking up chunks of fencing . . .

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good idea dilbert about bending the fence. I did bury one side of my fence. But I won't do it again. It is a pain in the butt not to mention the one I buried had small spaced wire at the bottom which went underground. The baby rabbits jump through the bigger spaced wire at the top. Plus also as dilbert said my neighbors unfenced garden 2 yards away keeps them happy. LOL

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42877&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0]Here's[/url] another current discussion about rabbits vs. the garden.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

Animal in question could be dog, cat, horse, parrot, snake, ad infinitum.
I believe the OP's question has been answered so I'm locking this thread.
Deb said she's not reading this thread any more so if you want to say something NICE to her, please use the PM.

webmaster
Site Admin

Thread edited to remove off topic discussion. Please always try to keep the discussion on-topic. :)

Thanks!
;)

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”