dsyukon

Ornamental Cabbage

Is ornamental cabbage edible ?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Technically, yes. They are edible because they won't produce a toxic reaction, but the [url=https://hort.uwex.edu/articles/ornamental-cabbage-and-kale]U. Wisconsin Extension[/url] describes other, normal kales and cabbages as "more tasty" and describes ornamentals as having a "bitter" aftertaste.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

some ornamental kales are noted for also having decent flavor - red chidori comes to mind - but like cynthia says, they're the minority.

applestar
Mod

I was thinking of doing the opposite -- planting colorful cultivars of the eating varieties. 8) Last year, I planted Red Russian Kale along the Front Fence Row and in the flower bed by the front porch. They looked great even well into frost and freeze, though they are starting to succumb to the deep freeze.

I also have radicchio that manages to overwinter here -- in fact, they are forming heads right now. These have been self seeding and I think will become a permanent member of my garden.

I'm planning to plant red/purple Brussels sprouts this year as well.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and throw in a little Bright Lights chard. :D

Eric

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

haven't grown it yet, but I've been hearing a fair amount of talk about Red Ursa kale - very hardy, colorful/attractive, and good flavor...that's the word. I'm growing it this following year...will report more than hearsay when I'm able :roll:

looks like a textural halfway point between red russian and curly kale.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”