brooklyn boy
Cool Member

Cucumbers are short & fat ???

All my previous cucumbers where good why is my latest cucumber growing regular size in diameter and short in length it looks like only 2-3 inches long it looks like a jalapeno that its diameter is the size of a cucumber!?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Cut one open and see if it has any seed. If no seed it didn't get pollinated. The stem end may grow a bit, but the seed doesn't start until about 1.5 inches from the end.

skaterprincess
Newly Registered

My last few cucumbers did the same thing. I have looked for a solution but have not found one. :( My cucumbers have more seed than fruit when I open them up?? Is this the same for you?

brooklyn boy
Cool Member

skaterprincess wrote:My last few cucumbers did the same thing. I have looked for a solution but have not found one. :( My cucumbers have more seed than fruit when I open them up?? Is this the same for you?
I think this happens every year when the season ends it will stop growing its fruit no matter at which stage they are ,they kind of go in to hibernation mode for a wile before it starts to die

brooklyn boy
Cool Member

skaterprincess wrote:My last few cucumbers did the same thing. I have looked for a solution but have not found one. :( My cucumbers have more seed than fruit when I open them up?? Is this the same for you?
Sorry I forgot the main part... yea it was a good half'o cucumber and its seeds were regular

skaterprincess
Newly Registered

That makes sense brooklyn boy. Because the weather started to shift here (MN) when it happened to my cucumbers. This week the weather has been back up in the 80's and 50/60's at night and the one cucumber I left on the vine that 'bottle necked' became more regular size. I cut it the other day but I haven't opened it up yet to see or to taste it, leaving it on the vine so long may have made it bitter.
Thanks for the information and I hope it has helped you as well. :D

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Yep, same thing for me.

It seems like the natural progression as the season plays out....and it's a sign to get the radishes in for the fall garden :D.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”