gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

How long is too long to leave carrots growing?

I planted seed for carrots very early, I believe March. They are still grwoing I haven't dug any out for a few weeks. Should I keep them growing or pull them and plant something else perhaps more beans and some peas, Brussels sprouts.

Thanks Dono

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I would leave them in the ground and pull some as you need them. They keep very well in the ground.

applestar
Mod

James/jal_ut leaves them in the ground until fall harvest and someone else in a milder limate said they deep mulch and harvest through winter.

I have problems with any root crops left in the ground due to wireworms burrowing into them and, since last year, chipmunks burrowing down to them and eating them though.

ETA-- Ah! There you are, James! :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks.

Last time I picked some I had a few with wire worm damage.

So even in this intense heat they will be alright and not get woody?

If this heat doesn't break soon everything will be down. It's getting ugly out there.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Hmmmm, every plot has its problems. If the wireworms are going to ruin them, maybe its best to pull them and put them in the fridg. They will keep well in the fridg too. How many do you have? I have never seen carrots get woody like radishes do. I don't have the heat to deal with that you folks are complaining about. 87 here today.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

A question that was on my mind too! Thanks for asking. I'm planning to start canning some of mine this weekend. Really hot and dry here in central Kansas too. I gave up on the cukes today. I'm debating replanting for a fall crop now. I should have enough time to get a nice crop before it freezes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If you live where it gets hot in the summer the carrots will get woody and too hard to eat. Leave them in the ground until cold weather pull them up when the tempersture is cold they will no longer be woody and you can eat them.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”