pickupguy07

it was stable manure.. so mixed with straw
it was straight out of the stable, but was pretty well seasoned. (nothing fresh or runny about it.)

TWC015

I took a chance this year with the corn planted so early, but we didn't have any more frosts, although it was close a few times.

I planted Brussels Sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower in mid-February. The cauliflower did great, but it was still too warm for broccoli. I started these from seed indoors in January.

pickupguy07

I got one VERY large head off of each of my brocolli plants then they started to bolt...
I had one brocolli that seemed to be 'behind' all the others, so I figured it would produce nothing.
It keeps getting dryer and hotter... and few weeks back I got the typiccla large head,.. now I keep getting flowerettes one after another..
Funny how when it's so hot and dry (and it should of bolted long ago) it keeps making more and more.

applestar
Mod

I have nothing to contribute as I'm still learning to grow corn. But I just wanted to say the brainstorming session going on is very helpful in analyzing my own garden. :wink: Thanks!

Well I did have one thought. Mid-July is about the latest you can sow corn around here according to NJ's ag ext service at Rutgars U. I found the info a couple of years ago while trying to figure out why short maturing corn I planted in late July only grew knee high then tasseled and produced tiny short corn. At first I thought mine was due to nutrition, etc. But a farm down the road planted corn about a week before I did and their presumably optimally cultivated corn only grew maybe thigh to waist high.

Now mid-July is when you can expect the earliest tomatoes without going above and beyond around here. So temperature wise, that might give you an idea. We normally hit the 90's+/70's+ temps and dry weather around then and I think we start seeing posts about first tomato harvests in mid-late April from your area.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”