jstrausss

cutting broccoli leaves

I cut off a big broccoli leaf to add to my greens and it tasted great.
My question is: Can I cut one or two leaves once and awhile as the plant grows or will this cause a problem or possibly kill the plant? It has not grown a center head or side shoots yet.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I think removing a few lower leaves would be just fine. It keeps the leaves up off the ground this way anyway.

Eric

jstrausss

thats good to hear. those leaves are really good

pickupguy07

jstrausss wrote:thats good to hear. those leaves are really good
how did you prepare them.. boil, fry ot just eat raw like a salad leaf.?? Hate to throw away anything that is tasty.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

broccoli is pretty closely related to cabbage. Pretty much anything you would do with a cabbage leaf you can do with a broccoli leaf.

Personally I hate boiled leaves (of any variety, spinach etc), I think it ruins them. But that's just a matter of taste/ preference.

I do a lot of veggie stir fries. When the stir fry is close to done, I put chopped up leaves (broccoli, kale, spinach, etc) on top. Cover it with a lid for a couple minutes until the leaves wilt and then mix them in and serve.

Saute most any green with a bit of onions and garlic and then mix it in to an omelet or scrambled eggs!

jstrausss

Hi pickupguy07
Looks like the guy above gave you some great ways to eat the leaves. I'm not a big raw veggie eater. trying to train myself to be but its a slow process but the broccoli leaves are good even raw. not to bitter and crisp. I want to cut off the big top leaves but I'm still alittle worried it might effect the growth of the center head.

pickupguy07

OK thanks.. thats cool.
I have found a receipe for fried cabbage... um yummy. Have to try it with the broccoli leaves.
In case anyone is interested..

1 head of cabbage
1 box of elbow noodles
1 stick butter
¾ pound diced ham

Cut up head of cabbage and saute’ in butter in skillet. Also add ham to cabbage. Reduce heat and continue to cook slowly. Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, prepare 1 box of elbow macaroni according to package directions. Once noodles are done and the cabbage is soft, drain the noodles and mix with the buttered cabbage. Cover and let simmer on low for about 15 minutes. This is a very old recipe that tastes fantastic. You can almost eat the whole thing yourself. Enjoy!!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”