cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

When to water plants depends on your conditions; in dry climates, it's probably OK to water in the evening, but gardeners in humid climates report that they get better results (fewer cases of powdery mildew and other nasties) when they water in the morning.

During a heat wave here a couple of years ago, it was so hot (over 100 deg F) that I had to water twice a day, based on the "finger test." You know: stick your finger into the soil at least an inch deep and, if the soil is dry an inch down, water the plants. My in-ground plants were going dry from the morning (it was very difficult, but they got that extra water) to the late afternoon.

But usually, I water in the late afternoon due to my own schedule. My plants would no doubt be better off if I could get to them in the morning; the afternoons usually bring in the famous San Francisco Bay fog/marine layer, which is damp and cool and no good for plants that need warmth to grow.

Cynthia

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I am one of those high humidity climates. I water in the morning but when it's hot I will water in the evening as well and more than often I water at the base of the plant by hand to reduce the chance of disease. Sometimes you have to do what you gotta do and hope for the best.

gardenbean

@Cynthia,Gixx-Thanks for the response. I usually water in the mornings because where I am humidity isn't really a problem. But I am starting to use Cynthia's appraoch of using my finger to judge when to water. For me, it's a work in progress......

Gixx, when I pruned my tomatoes I make sure that there is a enough distance between the soil and bottom stems for the reason of keeping diseases at bay. But as you said before, you do what you have to do.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”