lauren306
Newly Registered

crop rotation?

I am new to gardening, just started my first one this year! I have had some pretty good success so I want to try a fall garden. I have harvested white and red onions and I'm wondering if I can grow fall tomatoes and green beans where the onions were?

donworden
Cool Member

I know you wont have problems with the green beans, for me it is unknown bout the tomatoes.. you would probably have to go with an early harvesting tomatoe.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The only real benefit from crop rotation is avoiding disease. I like to avoid planting tomatoes, peppers or potatoes in the same place on successive plantings. They all are subject to the same diseases. If the previous crop had no disease, it is not an issue any way.

I never have time here to grow a second crop. Perhaps you do there? Tomatoes need a pretty long season. Depends on the variety.

lauren306
Newly Registered

Yes I am in zone 8, our frost free dates are btwn march and november. I really just wanted to make sure growing beans and tomatoes where onions were was an ok thing to do. Thank you guys!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes are probably not a problem but I think that onion soil may have negative effects on beans for a year or two.

Based on info in Steve Solomon's Organic Gardener's Composting Chapter 7

Available free online, but my computer is being slow so I can't link to it.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”