Avonnow
Green Thumb

Collecting seeds from Lettuce

I have a bunch of lettuce that is bolting (has been bolting) well I guess I have no idea what to look for in seeds. Do flowers turn into seeds after they bloom and dry out? Most of the the lettuce (it was a mix so I have no idea what there names are) have long stalks up center with a bush of flowers at top, some flowers are opening, some closed - do I wait for them to just dry out then shake the plant in a bag. I also have some Bok Choy -I did find a blurb somewhere and have not been able to find it again, it says the actual seed will produce below the flower part on the tall stalk that comes up. I know not a lot to go on, so anthing you can give me is better then what I have found. Thanks in advance! :?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[url=https://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/plants/printouts/floweranatomy.shtml]Flower primer[/url]

Check out this link to answer some of your questions.

After the flowers bloom the pedals fall and soon the seed will be mature. The lettuce seed has filaments attached for wind distribution. When you see the white fuzzies protruding then the seed is ripe. You can figure out how you are going to harvest it. I just let it go and next year it comes up all over.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Thank you Thank you. I did take one flower that had closed and opened it to look inside and I saw the little fluffy things that reminded me of those flowers you blew as a child to distribute the seed. So I will wait awhile longer, I think they are not ready yet. Is each flower one seed or a multitude of seeds? I guess they just take alot longer to get to seed then I thought. I didn't want to pull them before they were ready. I am so excited - it will be nice to get my own seed for next time. I can't let them blow all over, just not enough room, and some are in pots. Thanks Again. :D :D :D

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”