sjohnson9206

You have snow, this year I think I'll be held off by rain.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Here is a pic of volunteer lettuce growing between rows of onions. The onions, by the way, were planted from seed right where they are growing.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/Garden/lettuce_onions.jpg[/img]

I will sometimes transplant volunteer lettuce to a row. It moves easily when only two or three inches tall.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Woo Hoo, the spinach (planted March 3) just came up. I guess that means the soil is warm enough to plant a few more early varieties.

I did plant some onion sets and plants.

This evening it is raining. The next time the surface of my garden gets dry, I will go plant something.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

*GROAN* You are KILLING me Jal!! Knowing I could be planting something if we had moved already is making the waiting worse!!! As it is Dale think I've gone off my rocker seeing as I started seeds in the house for me, his aunt, and his sister. Yep, there's 7 flats of seedlings in my house right now.....and I just got a couple more special tomato seeds in the mail.....
It isn't helping that I don't know WHEN we're moving. The snow is off the ground and it's supposed to stay over 40 the next 2 weeks. I could be working in the garden!!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday we got 4 inches of very wet snow, then it snowed again last night, looks like another 3 to 4 inches. Still overcast and foggy looking this morning. I am ready for some sunshine.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

We just had 2 beautiful days of warmth and sunshine, and I had a NASTY flu so I couldn't enjoy it :( Now we're supposed to have rain for the next 4-5 days. -sigh-

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I think it is time for a report. I planted spinach March 3 after moving snow to do it, as reported earlier in this post. Here is the spinach as of May 26. It took it a long time to get to this size. We have had a cool season here. This spinach is still way ahead of that I planted the 5th of April. So I must conclude that planting early did get me an earlier harvest. I just wish I had planted 5 times as much.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/spinach_2011.jpg[/img]

Here are some onions that were planted from seed on April 5, 2011. They are doing great.

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/onions_2011.jpg[/img]

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Will those onions have time to bulb up tlo full size this season?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If I thin them, those left will get fair size. Maybe baseball size, but not as large as those planted from sets or plants. I will likely use these as green onions.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

My seedlings are a bit bigger than that and are just starting to perk up so I guess there is hope for them.

gardenbean

Jal, are you able to grow any warm crops like tomatos and squash? And do you get a fall crop? Just wondering. :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Jal, are you able to grow any warm crops like tomatos and squash? And do you get a fall crop? Just wondering
Yes. I get good corn, squash, cucumbers, melons and peppers. Tomatoes usually make something too, but they are slow to ripen and I end up ripening them under covers in September. I am trying 3 new varieties this year to see if I can find something that will work better here.

Fall crop? Not sure what you are asking. I don't do much succession planting if that is what you mean. Radishes is about the only thing I can get two crops on.

August is harvest month. We can't hardly keep up with the goodies in August.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

James, don't you have snails? If I planted spinach it would never get even that big.
I fight snails even in container plants.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

No snails here. I think our humidity is too low for them. There are some wild snails that frequent the woodsy areas of our foothills, but you only see them out if its a rainy day. Otherwise they are under something to keep damp. You can find the shells around after the things die. I have never seen a snail in my gardens.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”