gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Sherry, I use Chard a lot. I split between raw in salads, sauteed with a little onion, garlic, sea salt and pepper, just enough to wilt it a bit

I also wilt it down a good bit like spinach and drain off any excess liquid and use it as a spinach substitute in lasagna. I prefer the meaty lasagna with ground meat and Italian sausage but will make the veggie style along with it when company comes over for dinner. Matter of fact, I've wilted down some tonight to be put on my version of garlic bread. I'm making garlic, cheese, chard bread tonight with 2 fried chickens, smothered potatoes and a large veggie salad. I've got company for Mardi Gras.

The best thing about Chard is it is more heat tolerant than spinach but I still grow it where it gets shaded in the summer. I'll plant it in the same row a foot or so away from my cucumbers by the trellis

Avonnow
Green Thumb

What does the root look like? Or is it kinda like celery. I am interest and will do some more reading - I love greens - especially collards and Kale so hopefully this will be a nice addition - I usually don't try growing collards as they are HUGE plants. Is Chard the same, or more bushy.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Avonnow wrote:What does the root look like? Or is it kinda like celery. I am interest and will do some more reading - I love greens - especially collards and Kale so hopefully this will be a nice addition - I usually don't try growing collards as they are HUGE plants. Is Chard the same, or more bushy.
I don't think Jal was referring to eating the Chard root. My Chard plants have one larger root that is straight down from the stem, kind of like a tap root and other smaller roots branching off it. For the size of the plants, that tap root is not very large.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”