tedln
Super Green Thumb

Along with my normal crook neck, yellow squash (the plants will be lost to SVB's), I am also growing Cornell Delicata winter squash. The winter squash is similar in nature to the Seminole and Tatume, but grows as a semi bush. Those types supposedly do not have hollow stems like the summer squash and are not attractive to the SVB's. The Delicata also can be eaten at any stage of development. I intend to allow mine to develop fully and then enjoy them through the winter. They are sometimes called "Sweet Potato" squash because the flesh cooks and tastes much like a sweet potato. The Cornell variety is also open pollinated and mature seed can be saved and used for the next years garden.

Ted

Tate
Cool Member

Thanks for the info Ted! I was not aware of that variety - Cornell Delicata. That will be going on my list of things to try along with Tatume and Seminole. I know my kids are going to flip when they see the Seminole pumpkins assuming my plan works with as expected. I have read the Tatume is better to eat smaller so I probably won't let them get too big.

Tate

Lord Phat
Newly Registered

Last year I was able to save one of my two squash plants from Cucumber beetles but I think it was luck rather than skill. I picked them all off and sprayed both plants with a solution of minced garlic and cayenne pepper. The bugs were gone but one had already got infected with the wilt and bit the dust.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”