sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

long day onions QUICK!!!

I'm trying to order my seeds and I forgot to pick long day onion varieties! the site isn't showing which are long day or which are short day. out of these, which should I pick?

https://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=75

THANK YOU!

wordwiz
Green Thumb

The Walla Walla and Sweet Spanish are long-day. Not sure about the others. I plan to use plants - they are not expensive at all. There are more places but this site [url]https://www.dixondalefarms.com/product/20/long_day_onions[/url] lists some info.

Mike

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Copra, is a long-day variety and a excellent storage onion.

I've grown them for years. This is the first year from seed. 8)

Eric

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

thanks guys!!! put my order in, thanks so much!

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Doubledog, I started leek, onion and shallot seeds about two weeks ago and plan to move the leeks to 1-1 1/2" cells until planting out.

Can I do that with the onions and shallots as well?

I'm growing Long Red of Tropea onion - long day. We bought some at a farm stand last summer and they are really good onions.

applestar
Mod

Onions seem to grow vey long roots... The seedlings, when they stand up from the loop, reach deep with their roots as well. I started with 2-1/2" soil depth (I was going for 3" depth but this was the last container to be filled, and as ALWAYS -- why is that? -- I ran out of mix.) The seedlings are now about 4" tall and the roots are growing out from the bottom by about 1/2" :roll:

I think I need to check Jeevon's book and see if they need to be up potted to 6" depth.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

long roots for sure! last year when I started onions, when I transplanted them the roots were prob 6" long. but I had short day onions by mistake and they only got 1" in diameter...

applestar
Mod

Eric, when you get the plants from the grower, are the roots trimmed? how long are they? Do you think they would benefit from root pruning at this stage or from unrestricted root growth?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Hey everyone, this is my first year growing onions from seed. I'm learning also. My onions are in the 1020 open flats and maybe only 1 1/2" deep. :( This may not be good. My leeks are on the Bottom Watering Shelf in 4" pots. They are about 3" deep. :)

Next time I will be starting the onions in 1 gallon pots. I will sow about 100 seeds per pot. When the seedling reach about 5" tall, I will cut them back to 3".

Apple, Yes, The onion plants have the tops and roots cut back. I don't grow the variety Candy, but this what they look like out of the box. I have had very good success with plants from this company.
https://www.territorialseed.com/product/1336/210

Eric

annastasia76

ok so maybe my seeds last year were not long day, where can I find long day seeds, I really don't want to use the starts or what ever they are called because of cost, unless they won't grow quickly enough (to have ready by fall) from seeds.

applestar
Mod

Ah, but you being in Soutern California are likely to want to grow Short Day varieties. Long Day refers to how we in the regions closer to the poles as opposed to the equator experience longer daytime/light hours in summer time, rsing around 5am and setting around 9pm here, though not as long as in Alaska where the sun was still high in the sky at 10PM!

annastasia76

ok I see what you mean, then I have no idea why my onions didn't grow very large

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”