dcs02d
Newly Registered

carrots!

I'm in North Florida (Zone 8a)

Can I plant carrots from seed now? I have partial shade in my garden but I did mange to grow tomatoes so I presume I have enough sunlight.

My squash was a disaster so I thought I'd go ahead and plant some carrots for fun.

It's my first year with a garden.

Thanks!
Don

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Well, carrots are an early-planted crop since they do have a hard time germinating when it's hot. Also, they will bolt in the heat. I know that it's hot time in Fl. right now, so perhaps waiting 'til fall?

....Or you could just give it a go and see what happens, that's always fun to do :wink:.

dcs02d
Newly Registered

Maybe I will just give it a go. Suggested varieties fro here?

https://rareseeds.com/cart/catalog/Carrots-138-1.html

How far apart should I space them?

Skoorbmax
Cool Member

dcs02d wrote:Maybe I will just give it a go. Suggested varieties fro here?

https://rareseeds.com/cart/catalog/Carrots-138-1.html

How far apart should I space them?
Should say on packet. Mine said every 1.5" and thin to every 3" since not all will germinate.

TWC015

You may want to wait until September or October to sow carrot seeds since the plants like cooler weather. If you plant now you, you'll have to water frequently to get the seedling established. You could probably grow carrots through the winter, picking them before next spring (they will flower if left in the ground too long after winter).

I have to disagree on the heat causing carrots to bolt. I put some seeds out in April and I didn't have a single plant bolt in daily temperatures in the upper 90s for the whole month of June. Carrots need cold to flower.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”