shaefins

Cukes + sage or tomatoes = bad?

Just read on a couple other sites that you're not supposed to plant cukes with sage or tomatoes. I have all 3 in my 16 sq' bed.

See if you can follow this one: C=cukes; T=tomato; S=sage; P=pepperoncini; M=marigold; R=rosemary; E=empty - the number is how many plants are in the 1 sq' space (+ means lots). Orientation is north at the top.

R(1) C(2) C(2) C(2)
S(+) M(1) M(1) M(1)
E T(1) T(1) T(1)
P(1) M(1)D(1) M(1) M(1)

That south row has a dill squeezed in between two marigolds. So...what's going to happen to my sage/cucumbers? Used the sage over the weekend and it seemed fine. No cukes yet, just flowers.

applestar
Mod

What do they say will happen if sage is planted near cucumbers?
I really don't consider vague advice not to plant near each other without specific reasons to be very reliable, though I do think there really are valid reasons for planting close or not close in some instances.

One good reason I can see for not planting sage near cucumbers is that cucumbers' vigorous growth may overly shade the sage. If you decide to move one or the other, I suspect that the sage can be transplanted more easily than the cucumber.

I HAVE read that cucumbers and tomatoes planted near each other will stunt each others' growth. I admit that one year, I planted cukes near tomatoes and they didn't do well, but there were other factors like cool weather and brand-new garden bed.... On the other hand, there have been some advice to plant squash with tomatoes.

That said, 16 sq. ft.... as in 4ft x 4ft? Are you planting a tomato plant in each square? ... I.e. 12" apart? Most people recommend 24" apart. Is this a Jeavons type double-dug, bio-intensive bed or Bartholomew type shallow, soilless mix bed?

I'm sorry to tell you this but I think you have planted too close..... Also, the marigolds under all that foliage will not be happy even if height-wise, they might fit. A shade-loving low-growing plants would've worked better.

kgall

I can tell you that I planted my tomatoes 1.5 feet apart and they are way to close to each other so I have learned my first lesson for this year. (I couldn't resist planting them all, I hated the thought of discarding them.) :oops:

On a bright note however...I planted tomatoes and cukes next to each other and neither have been stunted! In favt the toms closest to the cukes are the biggest ones. Probably a coincidence but not stunted all the same!

shaefins

It's Square Foot Gardening (Bartholomew) - 1 tomato plant per square and there are 3 of them. They're kind of crowded, but so far everyone seems happy. I've pruned all low foliage, so the marigolds in front of the tomatoes are happy as clams - no shading issues. The ones between the tomatoes and the cukes also seem to be doing well, which surprises me given their location. I threw them in there as an afterthought, really. Figured if they help w/ pests at all, that's great. If they die, that's OK.

I think that the rosemary and sage are in bad spots, but I'm not sweating them. The sage was another afterthought, and it's doing well. The rosemary was an extra I had and I'm pulling it this week to take on vacation anyway.

There's a good 18-24" between the tomatoes and the cukes, given their orientation in their squares. Next year I'll be putting the cukes in front of the tomatoes I think - they're a little bit shaded in the afternoon.

As for the sage/cuke thing, the only thing I saw was that it would make the cukes bitter - saw the same thing for tomatoes planted near cukes. No cukes yet, so no idea if it's true or not. Really hoping it's not!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

There's a lot of companion planting information out there and some of it has no real basis.

I'm growing a particular row of tomatoes 1 ft. from the cucumber trellis this year, so I'm going to hope that this particular rule happens to be one of the baseless ones :? :lol:.

soil
Greener Thumb

people say your not supposed to plant onions near peas or lettuce. when in fact I grew all 3 next to each other this year and they did better than my other peas, lettuce and onions that were all apart.

applestar
Mod

Despite the usual advice against planting them together, I think it was hendi_Alex who had an interesting theory about planting the peas close to garlic so the N-fixing peas can supply the extra Nitrogen that garlic needs. Same might apply for onions. Lettuce and onions are supposed to go well together though.

specgrade

My cukes are planted next to my corn and I have to keep the corn from being strangled. I know better for next year. That's the only science I understand.

applestar
Mod

Heh. This morning, I was forced to cut off some Atlantic Giant Pumpkin tendrils that had wrapped around some of the lower popcorn leaves. I wasn't ready for the giant pumpkin vines to try to climb up the corn! :shock:

Although now that I think about it, it would make a HUGELY fabulous Halloween decoration if one could design a living sculpture out of them -- I'm picturing really sturdy, tall growing corn -- like Bloody Butcher, maybe -- with a giant pumpkin that had climbed up and fruited somewhere at waist level. Set up a cleverly disguised platform to support the pumpkin, gather up the tops of the corn -- weave some stalks together -- into sort of looming figures.... Hmm... 8) Maybe someday, when I get the GROWING part of it down. :roll:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”