Darceyoh

Broccoli Leaves

As I was looking at my garden this morning I had noticed how large my broccoli leaves are getting. Then I thought "I wonder if broccoli leaves are edible?"

So, while I have yet to harvest any broccoli (hoping soon I see something start), are the leaves edible? And if so, how much of it can a person pick off to keep the plant surviving and produce the apropriate amount of broccoli?

And should one even pick the leaves off or will that harm the growing process?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

They are edible, but been told a little bitter. Collards and chard would be better. :D

I wouldn't harvest any leaves until after harvesting the main head. Sauteed side shoots and leaves maybe good. I'll have to try. :wink:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I grew romanesco broccoli Fall 2009. Whenever I harvested kale, chard, and rapini, I also clipped a few broccoli leaves. In a mixed-green dish w/pasta and anchovies, everything was absolutely wonderful.

They probably don't work very well raw in salads, but for me raw broccoli doesn't work well as a crudité, anyway.

As for how many to take off the plant, the general rule of thumb I use is never to remove more than 1/3 of the greenery from any plant at one time, and preferably less. I use this guideline on everything, from chard up to pruning my well-established roses.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”