jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/onions_08.jpg[/img]

gix, these are onions from last year. The photo was taken mid August. As you can see the onion bulb forms about half out of the ground. These are almost ready for harvest, but I let them go for a while so the tops will start to dry up. If you pick them with green growing tops, the bulbs won't store as well.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I learned something about scapes this evening. Apparently they are only produced on hardneck garlic. I only grow Music, a hardneck garlic.

I allow two loops on the scapes, then I harvest the scape. Allow the rest of the plant to form a nice big bulb. Hopefully :D

Some information and recipes for scapes here:

https://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/scape.html

applestar
Mod

Jal, those elephant garlic flowers look like candidates for my Front Yard Edible Landscaping Project! Getting some this Fall to plant :wink:

BTW I found one of the Egyptian onions when I was comparing scapes -- I.e. I was walking around looking at all the onions, chives, and garlic to see which ones have scapes and which ones don't and are likely to bulb well.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Jal, the sight of those plump onions in the dirt looks as good to me as the beautiful vistas you usually post! I hope I'll have the same sight in my garden this August.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I don't think mine would have made two loops. They bent over and tried to loop but seemed too heavy.... maybe from a top dressing of nitrogen I put on because of yellow leaf tips. Anyway, they were big and I wanted to get them off so more energy would go to the bulbs. I still have a bunch out there from a later planting that are about ready for thecook pot.

After a search for garlic scape recipes on google it seems a lot of people get excited about scape pesto. I tried it, but am not a fan of pestos in general so I won't be making it again.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Jal I let mine go till the die off. Though they are normally small yet good. I will just cut off the flowers and let them grow.

One of these day's I will figure it out.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Good luck. What I can suggest is full sun, fertile soil, plant early, like early April, maybe even late March. Plant sets and space them 5 to 6 inches. Plant long day onions for your location.

An alternative on the spacing is to plant 3 inches apart then when they are just right for green onions pull every other one. I planted some onion seed this year and very soon I am going to have lots of green onions. Those new little green onions are so good. I like the Egyptian Walking onions for green onions too. I plant the bulbils in the fall. By June you have all the green onions you can use.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Here are some pictures of my garlic. I've decide not to wait for two loops. Will be harvesting the scapes Friday evening or Saturday morning. Selling at the Farmers Market.

Today June 15th 2010
Galic row.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Garlic%20June%2015th%202010/DSC02299.jpg[/img]

Scapes.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Garlic%20June%2015th%202010/DSC02300.jpg[/img]

Bulb starting to form.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Garlic%20June%2015th%202010/DSC02303.jpg[/img]

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Thanks for posting the pic, DoubleDogFarm! Now I have a good idea what to expect. Mine are no where near as lush as yours, and they haven't even begun to think "scape," but I know I have my spacing right, anyway, and I do think one of them is showing signs of the bulb below :-)

applestar
Mod

Alright DD. I'm sold on Melody garlic as well. Do they ALWAYS scape? Not all of mine are -- The ones I'm growing are NY White and German Pink which are supposed to be well adapted to NY and presumably NJ region.

I'll have to research Melody and see if I have good chance of success with them. Definitely another candidate for my FRont Yard Edible Landscaping Project. :()

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

applestar,

"MUSIC" not melody, you goof. :D

NY White is a softneck and will not have scapes.
German Pink is a hardneck and it should.

I've read that only hardnecks have scapes. If this is not true, someone please correct me. :idea:

applestar
Mod

Oh, right. :oops:
:roll: THAT would make researching difficult wouldn't it? :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:applestar,

I've read that only hardnecks have scapes. If this is not true, someone please correct me. :idea:
I believe this is right.

And It is my onions that are flowering not my garlic. :shock:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”