soil
Greener Thumb

Please elaborate on the "go to seed" part. My buttercrunch and romaine has continued to grow, is about to flower, and I am assuming seed will follow. What do I do? Harvest the seed? Or let it fall?
sure thing.

when the plant starts to bolt and go to flower it will stretch tall. then it will send out a bunch of shoots like in the link posted above. they almost look like dandelion flowers and seeds. once you get a lot of the puffs on the plant. chop it and hang it upside down to dry in a nice shady spot out of the winds. sometimes it helps to put a tray under to catch any falling seeds, but most will stay in the flower heads. once dry you can pluck off the individual seed heads. I recommend keeping them in the heads until you are ready to plant. then simply rub between your fingers and the seeds fall out. one plant can produce thousands of seeds.

I find the best way to sow them is in the fall, just toss them out onto the soil where you want them before a good rain.( I plant them in november here) we have mild winters and the plants grow through the spring. once they start growing you can thin them out to about 5-6 inches apart( but you don't have to) and eat the ones you culled. one cool thing is you have enough seeds from one plant to just toss lettuce seeds everywhere. they grow even in thick thick weeds. I have so many volunteer buttercrunch plants this year. and the funny thing is the ones that picked there own spots are growing better than the ones in the beds.

make sure to choose seed from the healthiest plant as to pass on the best genetics for next year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”