blueman

cabbage please help

I am new at gardening and I am having problems with my cabbage. It has been transplanted from the greenhouse to my garden for 2 weeks and almost every plant is turning blue and don't seem to be growing much. Could any one tell me what is wrong? :cry:

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Its OK, its called transplant shock. Give it some time. Patience.
Last edited by jal_ut on Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueman

Is there any thing I can do to help? They sure are blue.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Cabbage often has a very blue cast. It may be the variety. Don't worry.

blueman

I would of thought 2 weeks should of gave them time to recover from the transplant? They are not just a little bit blue, they are really blue. :?

applestar
Mod

Can you take a picture and post?
These are cauliflower seedlings and has pinkish veins. Bluer than that?
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125266#125266

blueman

[img]https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz331/billblueman/cabbageblue001.jpg[/img]

My blue cabbage

blueman

[img]https://i841.photobucket.com/albums/zz331/billblueman/cabbageblue002.jpg[/img]

Another blue cabbage

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful. Like I said, patience.

blueman

You are right they do look beautiful but something seems to be wrong. I believe they should be larger for their age and not so blue.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I'd have to agree with Jal on this one. Just let them go and make sure that they don't dry out. The blue-ish hue is most likely due to variety.

blueman

Thank You very much for your response and your encouragement. I had been trying to reach the horticulture department at University of Missouri early last week, everyone was busy and I didn't get a response until now and this was their conclusion. I copied and pasted: “Based on your soil test and the photos, it appears be a shortage of phosphorus. The symptoms of phosphorus deficiency in vegetable crops are slow growth and delayed maturity. Some crops, suffering from phosphorus deficiency, show a tendency for the leaves to assume a darker green color than normal leaves. This is due to an increase in chlorophyll concentration in vegetative tissues that are no longer growing. Roots are usually slow to develop, compounding the problem, as the roots cannot reach available phosphorus that may be in the soilâ€

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I started the season with 5-1-1 liquid fish and now I'm using 2-5-1 liquid fish. You can wait it out, or give them a little phosphorous. Why take a chance. One could bite you, the other will do no harm.

blueman

Thanks for the advice Eric, I have started with fish emulsion 2-4-1 that is what I found available here in my area. Is there anything else I can do? I hate being a loser on this cabbage. When I was just a boy I remember my mother and father grew great cabbage. I guess I thought it would be in my genes. HA! Is there anything else I can do?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

blueman,

I'm just curious on the plastic. Can you show us a wide view of the bed.

Also a little more information on your soil, compost, mulching regimen.

Thanks

blueman

Soil Information: pHs 6.8, Phosphorus-13lb. per acre, Potassium-143lb. per acre, Calcuim-2369lb. per acre, Magnesium-358lb. per acre. This was before I put on aged horse manure and some 40 or 50 year old sawdust and it has been rotor tilled in with a six foot three point tractor tiller and tilled very well. I will need to wait until morning to send a picture of the beds. The beds are approx. 20 in. wide and raised 7 to 8 inches and normally flat on top. Thank You,

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”