lppa2006
Newly Registered

Jalapeno branches turning black... Normal?

the stems/branches of the main plant are turning black, I have several other pepper plants that are also out and havent noticed this on them yet, and I cant remember if my jalapeno branches turned black last year or not.. Is this normal, or is it possibly a fungus... ive been having aphid problems and sprayed pesticide on the plants, I also have boosted the jalapenos with miracle grow recently because they werent catching up with teh rest, dunno if maybe one of those two things may of produced the blackening..

lppa2006
Newly Registered

UPDATE: Took a closer look and its natural color.. whew

miles2001
Newly Registered

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. My Jalapeno plant is black in all the crotches, but the Jalapenos actually look really good. I've googled it and can't find anything on the subject.

Franco

miles2001 wrote:I'm trying to figure out the same thing. My Jalapeno plant is black in all the crotches, but the Jalapenos actually look really good. I've googled it and can't find anything on the subject.
as have mine.

lppa2006
Newly Registered

lppa2006 wrote:UPDATE: Took a closer look and its natural color.. whew

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'll start by saying that here at the HG we discourage the use of herbicides, pesticides and fungicides as (to keep it short) they tend to cause more problems than they solve.

A safer alternative is to spray your plants with an aerated compost tea both as a preventative measure and as a treatment.

Miracle grow has come out with organic fertilizers but, I'm going to assume that you are using synthetics? It is best for your soil and therefore, for you plants to use organic fertilizers such as compost, composted manures, liquid organic fertilizers, kelp meal, Rock Phosphate and so on.

If you use these sort of fertilizers your soil will be full of beneficial organisms that will prey upon disease organisms and the soil will be full of nutrients that will provide your plants with all the nutrients (both micro and macro) that they need and therefore, they will be able to fight off disease on their own.

Anyway, I would recommend spraying your plants with an aerated compost tea for now.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”