tedln
Super Green Thumb

Giant Jalapenos?

I've grown jalapenos a number of times, but they are always normal size jalapenos. The largest is no more than two inches long. I have seen giant jalapenos in the grocery store. They are usually over four inches long. Any ideas where the giant jalapeno seed can be bought?

Thanks

Ted

applestar
Mod

I saw one somewhere.... Oh here it is! 4-1/2" long...
https://www.reimerseeds.com/grande-jalapeno-hot-peppers.aspx

Note, though that reimer's seed count is rather small -- this one is only 10 seeds per pack. On the other hand, so far, germination rates have been good for all their seeds. Also, this spring, I planted some Jalapeno seeds from an old forgotten -- ~10 yrs old -- seed pack of Mex/NewMex hot peppers (in a very touristy kind of package -- I think it was a souvenir). I planted them extra thick (4 to a spot) and they ALL sprouted. :roll:

AndrewH_TX

Are jalapenos like Tequila, the real ones are made in Mexico?

I think jalapenos are more suited to grow in hotter environments.

Texas typically does well at growing them, but they'd prefer Mexico's climate?

Maybe buy one of the fresh 4"+ from the supermarket and plant the seeds?

tn_veggie_gardner

Jung seed: Mucho Nacho Jalapeno. =) Bigger, wider, longer & hotter than most normal Jal's.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

AndrewH_TX wrote:Are jalapenos like Tequila, the real ones are made in Mexico?

I think jalapenos are more suited to grow in hotter environments.

Texas typically does well at growing them, but they'd prefer Mexico's climate?

Maybe buy one of the fresh 4"+ from the supermarket and plant the seeds?
Most of the seed available seems to be F1 hybrid. I suspect those sold in the stores are also F1 hybrid. No telling what would grow if anything.

Ted

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Ted, I was going to say the same thing.

First time this year for me. I chose "Early Jalapeno" 66 days. Territorial claims they will set fruit under cooler conditions. I will be growing these in a greenhouse. 2"-3" fruit

RyanDe680
Cool Member

tn_veggie_gardner wrote:Jung seed: Mucho Nacho Jalapeno. =) Bigger, wider, longer & hotter than most normal Jal's.
+1 to this

I am growing those this year for that reason!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

tn_veggie_gardner wrote:Jung seed: Mucho Nacho Jalapeno. =) Bigger, wider, longer & hotter than most normal Jal's.
Park seed company claims the "Mucho Nacho Jalapeno" is much milder in heat than other varieties. Other sites say it is hotter than normal Jalapenos. hmmmmmm, it leaves me a little confused.

Ted

tn_veggie_gardner

Oh, I know from experience, that it's quite a bit hotter! lol =) I still have almost 2 full jars of them pickled, left from last year.

SarahSarah
Cool Member

My hubby pickled about 3 pounds of jalapenos we harvested last year, but none of them were bigger than 2 or 3 inches. They were plenty spicy, just not very big. This year, we gave the plants a bit more room and are putting them in pots so that they can be a little bit more dry.

2 of the plants that were in the ground last year seem to be coming back to life. They are starting to bud little leaves all along the stem. Do you think there is any chance that they will come back and fruit?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Sarah,

Absolutely! If you are fortunate enough to live in an area where the pepper plants are not killed by the winter weather they can regrow. Pepper plants are commonly kept as decorative plants year round by some people. I don't know if they eventually die from old age, but it seems when they reach the size the variety allows, they stop growing and simply bloom again and produce fruit again.

Last fall, I thought about digging a really productive pepper plant up and potting it, protecting it all winter and replanting it this spring. Our first hard freeze hit before I had a chance to do it.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hey Steve and Sarah,

How about sharing your pepper pickling method with us. I may want to try it. You can post it on the recipe forum. Start a thread about "How to pickle peppers".

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I grew some jalapenos from the store bought transplants last year and they got to about 3 in., but they got bigger the longer I left them on the plant. I'd say off the top of my head that they got to about 4 in.. However, you may be thinking on a special variety that gets that larger easily.

tn_veggie_gardner

Ok, will do. =) Mine probably one of the easier methods, I'm sure...lol.

- Steve

[img]https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f229/sfbslb/IMAGE_810.jpg[/img]

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Steve,

I'm just looking for a good pickling recipe for peppers, green beans, squash strips, cucumber strips, or just about any veggie which will pickle well. I want a simple recipe (I think a good vinegar & spice recipe would be great) that doesn't require a multitude of steps, remains clear in the jar, and above all is safe.

Ted

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”