garden5
Super Green Thumb

What types of long-day onions store well?

I have heard that walla-walla do not. Do Alyssa Craigs? What can you recommend?

Thanks.

pepper4
Green Thumb

According to this onion catalog I received they list some for our area. (Ohio) Here they are and storage time. Big Daddy 4-6 mths, Copra 10-12 mths, First Edition 10-12 mths, Red Zeppelin 6-8 mths, Sterling 6 mths. According to the catalog Walla Walla is only 1 mth. Hope that helps. I got this free catalog from Dixondale Farms. Info for planting time, types of onions and what grows best in different areas. I think they deal mainly with onions. Alot of useful info. :wink:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the useful info. I'm going to have to sign up to the Dixondale catalogs. Unfortunately, Alysia Craigs do not store that well either.

pepper4
Green Thumb

You're right. According to catalog Ailsa Craigs also store for about 1 month. I am looking here and ther is something called Ringmaster and it lasts 4 months. Ya sign up for the catalog. I think you will find it useful. I am sending you the site and you can even check it out over net. www.dixondalefarms.com

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I have good luck with Yellow Spanish onions. They store better than any thing else I have grown. Big Daddy onions keep well, but not as good as the Yellow Spanish.

Walla Walla won't store hardly at all. If refrigerated and they will last a couple of weeks. Their best use is for early and sweet fresh onions.

Successful onion storage depends quite a lot on conditions. If the humidity is high, they won't store well. Here in dry Utah, they store pretty well in a mesh bag hanging in the basement. My basement has an almost steady temperature of 68--70 degrees and a relative humidity of 40--45 %. I will have some onions keep until May.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”