taras.di
Newly Registered

Growing vegetables near traffic

Hi all,

I'd like to start a new vegetable garden at my new house. The only problem is that the house is quite close to a 6 lane roadway, so I'm concerned that pollutants can enter the soil, the vegetables, and eventually me (lead and other heavy metals are *not* healthy).

Does anyone have any information on whether this is actually a problem, and if so, to what extent?

Thanks

Taras

stella1751
Greener Thumb

My front garden is on the sidewalk along a quiet residential street, so I can't speak to the pollution aspects. However, I do get very annoyed at all the cigarette butts I have to pick out of the beds. How rude is that, to toss your lit cigarette into someone's garden? There's other litter, too, mostly candy wrappers. After working in the front garden, I have to go into the house to empty the trash out of my pockets :evil:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I did not read the full report, but this study seems to support the idea that close proximity to a roadway increases the pollutants in food plants.

https://www.jstor.org/pss/2403855

I have always been told never to use wild berries that grow alongside the road, but to find sources well away from such areas.

That's the best information I can offer in answer to your question.

taras.di
Newly Registered

I did find the following study:

at

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&ved=0CA4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pjoes.com%2Fpdf%2F16.1%2F145-154.pdf&ei=qIYIS5KjNdmWkAXzp_XeCQ&usg=AFQjCNE8mkRWz6GGGPvvleRW73CM7IwEHw&sig2=AEeYAbpZzlhRIlX8MX-PZg

It does say that there was an increase of heavy metals in some plant matter, but also stated that the most used fuel was leaded because it's cheaper. We don't sell leaded petrol anymore in Australia, so it might not be as big of a problem!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agreed, gasoline is no longer leaded, so lead should not be an issue. I don't know if there may be other heavy metals in exhaust fumes, so I don't know if eating these veggies could be a problem for you.

I do know, from observation, that growing right next to a major roadway like that is a stress on plants and they aren't likely to grow as well, and will be more vulnerable to pests and diseases, because stressed.

If there is some kind of hardy shrub you could grow along the front edge, that might help buffer you and your veggies from the roadway. Serviceberry, bearberry, privet, and olearia (daisybush) are recognized as pollution tolerant.

Incidentally, welcome to the forum! Hope you find it friendly and helpful.

applestar
Mod

I think the first order of business would be to get your soil tested for toxins. Your county agricultural extension can usually do the tests for a nominal fee. Make sure to state your concerns re: pollutants from the nearby highway.

After that, I think rainbowgardener's suggestion to plant a buffer is a great idea. If you DO already have pollutant levels of concern, you might look into plants that are used for phytoremediation. You might also look into mycoremediation as well. These are plants and fungi that accumulate the toxins; then can be "harvested" (gathered/collected) and disposed to remove them from the soil.

applestar
Mod

You know, today, we went on a family drive to a distant (about 1.5 hrs) mall to a specialty store for DD's birthday present. We passed a number of cornfields and green farmlands probably planted with winter rye covercrop along the turnpike, and I thought about this thread.

If you have the room to do it, the buffer planting may also provide some noise buffer as well.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum.

My sister lives right by the freeway, six lanes, and she has had a garden for a long time. I can't say if there is any problen with pollutants. None that she has ever mentioned. I don't know how you could tell without having a scientist check it out.

I suggest: have a garden and enjoy it. Just wash the veggies well.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”