Tammy42

Bush beans- what do the beans look like when formed?

Never grown bush beans before, does the bean itself grow from the blossom or does it grow on the stock itself. I have these little looking forms that ressemble tiny lima bean forms. Are these the beans themselves growing? Can't send picture because of new computer still figuring out. Any info would help. Tammy

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The flower becomes the bean pod. The lima-bean stage is very early in the development of the bean pod.

They usually end up looking like the green beans/string beans found in supermarkets, but they taste SOOOO much better! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

jmoore

cynthia_h wrote:The flower becomes the bean pod. The lima-bean stage is very early in the development of the bean pod.

They usually end up looking like the green beans/string beans found in supermarkets, but they taste SOOOO much better! :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
I've got a few new flowers cropping up on my yellow bush beans. Hopefully I get a few producing some beans soon.

In other news, I saw some bees milling around my cucumber plants the other day. I'm cautiosly hopeful.

pepper4
Green Thumb

Tammy42, In addition to what Cynthia_h said, I was told they are ready for picking when they are about the size of a pencil round. She's right. They are so much better then what you buy in the store. I picked some of my beans and cooked them up with small potatos, onions and alittle bacon. My daughter loved them. She wanted to know what I did different. Happy Gardening!

Tammy42

Thanks wanted to know what that might be. I didn't want it to be a alien forming or something. Or as people here have found out it cross polinated with something different to produce something unusual!!!! Tammy

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”