jmoore

Cucumbers only producing male flowers

This is my first year gardening and I have several vegetables I'm trying to grow. This ? is about my cucumbers. They were planted on May 11 and are growing like crazy. The only problem is that the plants are only producing male flowers. Hundreds of male flowers.

At first I thought they simply were not getting pollinated, but I read a bunch online and there are definitely no female flowers at all. I was all prepped with my watercolor brush to pollinate them.

The only thing I can figure is that the heat in N.Texas this year is stressing them out. I try and keep them watered but it doesn't seem to be doing anything other than keeping them alive.

I figure just from dumb luck I'd get one, but nothing. I'm getting very frustrated.

Help. Anyone? Please.

For my next post, I'll be telling the story of the green and yellow beans that never flower. Oh the anticipation!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sorry for a lack of surety, but it could be a number of things...

Could be the plant is just butch, or you have selected a monoecious strain...

Could be you haven't seen a female flower because there are no pollinators to start a fruit and it's hard to tell until that point (don't know if you've done the[url=https://completegarden.wordpress.com/2008/08/18/cucumber-how-to-identifying-male-and-female-flower/]homework[/url] on that yet...

Could be the heat stress is setting it one way instead of the other (usually more of a factor in bitterness than flowering).

But mostly I'm shrugging, and leaning towards the genetics of the plant... :(

HG

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

The usual process is that the plant will produce a lot of male flowers before it begins to produce female flowers.
Last edited by Hydrogardener on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jmoore

The seeds are from Burpee. They are labeled Garden Sweet Burpless Hybrid. I bought them at Home Depot.

I have been doing lots of research on how to tell the difference in flowers. They are definitely all male flowers. No females at all. They grow in little clusters of 4-5 flowers.

I keep hoping that one morning I'll wake up and something will have happened, but nothing yet. xVery frustrating.

Keep the questions coming.

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

The female flower will have a tiny cucumber at the base. If you need a photo I will try to take one tomorrow, but they are easy to distinguish.

applestar
Mod

How long have they been flowering?

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

The cucumbers have been flowering for several weeks. At this point, I have mature fruit, and developing flowers. Picking them encourages them to produce more fruit. :)

jmoore

Def. no tiny cucumber at the base.

They have been flowering for at least a month. Maybe longer.

I'll try and take a pic of them tomorrow morning and post. Maybe I'm wrong.

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

I will take a photo of a developing female flower for you.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hydro, I linked to some images in my post; check out where it says "homework"

But more images can't hurt...

HG

jmoore

Here are a few pics I snapped with my cell. Sorry they are so blurry, but you can see the flowers.

Here's one row of the plants. There is another one next to it. Some yellow-ish leaves. My bell and jalapenos are pretty scrawny too.
[img]https://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z232/jason_moore_texas/Photo0320.jpg[/img]

Flowers. They all look just like this. Hundreds of them.
[img]https://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z232/jason_moore_texas/Photo0322.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z232/jason_moore_texas/Photo0321.jpg[/img]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Have you been feeding with high nitrogen fertilizer Jason? sometimes plants don't feel a need to produce seed if they are too fat and happy...

I have induced other vines like wisteria to flower by cutting roots back a little, stressing the plant and making it think it needs to reproduce. Simply take a spade and step it into the soil on two sides of the vine, north/south or east/west, trimming the roots about 6-8 inches away from the base of the plant. Might work for cucmbers...

HG

jmoore

The Helpful Gardener wrote:Have you been feeding with high nitrogen fertilizer Jason? sometimes plants don't feel a need to produce seed if they are too fat and happy...

I have induced other vines like wisteria to flower by cutting roots back a little, stressing the plant and making it think it needs to reproduce. Simply take a spade and step it into the soil on two sides of the vine, north/south or east/west, trimming the roots about 6-8 inches away from the base of the plant. Might work for cucmbers...

HG
The only fertilizer I've used is the ground up fish stuff. I mix it two tbls per gallon and pour it on every few weeks. Besides water, that is it.

As for the ground, it was really compact hard clay soil when I started. I turned it by hand with a shovel and then put 4 bags of mushroom compost in there. Worked all that in and then planted. The whole garden is only maybe 50sq ft. Maybe that mushroom compost was too much? Nothing in that entire bed is growing very well. It's growing, but it's not thriving.

I also need to mention that it's not a perfect spot for sun. It is against a fence on the east side of the yard and gets maybe 4-6 hours a day.

I'll try cutting the roots back. It certainly can't make it any worse than it is now. Maybe I'll pick all the male flowers too, as someone suggested.

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Here is the female flower photo.

[img]https://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hydrogardener/female.jpg[/img]

jmoore

Definitely nothing like that.

I think my cucumber plant is like a hunting camp. Too many guys in one place and all the women stay away :lol:
Hydrogardener wrote:Here is the female flower photo.

[img]https://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp121/hydrogardener/female.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

I'm SOOOO glad I read your "homework" linked page, HG, before responding to Hydro Re:
From all I have read regarding growing cucumbers the last thing you want to do is pollinate the flowers. All of the male flowers should be removed as soon as you see them.
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that "they've" managed to breed/create asexually prolific cukes. Jurassic Park, anyone? Kinda funny that the "billy" cuke flowers stink up the product. :lol:

So, jmoore, ARE you growing the greenhouse/indoor variety? Better be sure before snipping the males. :wink:

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

I have noticed that the female flowers tend to cluster together also. :roll:
You might just hang in there until conditions improve. And, you might consider starting another type of seed, as you still may have time to get a decent crop.

jmoore

It's a Festivus miracle!!!!!

[img]https://www.grievethis.com/images/miracle2.jpg[/img]

I just checked the cuke's when I got home from work and there are 4 female flowers on there! All the females are on the very end of the vines, so maybe it just took some time for everything to get itself going.

There are lots of bud clusters there too, so I'm praying for more! My faith is restored. At least in this batch of cukes.

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Count your blessings. :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good to hear, remember they need lots of water.

I could mail you some. I cut my planting down to basically 4 plants and find myself trimming them back by about 30% every week or less. But the cuc's keep coming way too fast for me. I'm probably pulling 15-20 or more a week.

jmoore

I have been afraid to overwater the garden but the last week or so I stepped it up some and everything seems to have responded well. So I'll keep the same schedule I'm on and hope for the best.

I'll be happy if I can get one good cuke off the vine. Hopefully I'll get more, but I'm keeping my sites low for now. I have 6-7 plants so I may be overrun. It would be nice to have enough to make some spicy pickles to eat in the fall/winter.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. I think I need to post some pics of the female flowers now. Just for posterity.
gixxerific wrote:Good to hear, remember they need lots of water.

I could mail you some. I cut my planting down to basically 4 plants and find myself trimming them back by about 30% every week or less. But the cuc's keep coming way too fast for me. I'm probably pulling 15-20 or more a week.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

And I'd chalk that up more to genetics than cultural issues, Jason. Isn't too late to start some new cuke seeds; soak 'em in water for a day and plant. Don't know what you might do to get girls more other than shower, comb your hair, use deodorant, and be polite. It's often worked for me... :roll: :wink:... cukes I am less sure about...

HG

jmoore

I've got a few pumpkin seeds working that are going into an open spot. I'll clean up all nice and neat and put on a fresh shirt when I plant them. Maybe that will convince them to bring on the females. I'll also talk really sweet to the cukes. Tell them they look pretty and that their flowers don't make them look fat :lol:
The Helpful Gardener wrote:And I'd chalk that up more to genetics than cultural issues, Jason. Isn't too late to start some new cuke seeds; soak 'em in water for a day and plant. Don't know what you might do to get girls more other than shower, comb your hair, use deodorant, and be polite. It's often worked for me... :roll: :wink:... cukes I am less sure about...

HG

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Politeness never hurts, and it's cheap :lol:

HG

locteach
Newly Registered

I too live in Dallas and have suffered through no female cucumbers. Hmmfff. I think the heat really stresses out the cukes. I did put up a shade cloth and now the plants have little female friends. They were planted in May. We will have to see what happens.

My watermelon and pumpkin are boy producing plants at the moment. I am hopeful that some friendly girl flowers will drop by soon. It was 108 in my garden this afternoon. I can't even imagine the heat index temp. I felt like I was melting away. My green peppers have yet to produce one flower.

Best wishes.

jmoore

Sounds like we have similar gardens - cukes, peppers, pumpkins. Also sounds like we have the same growing issues.

My cukes are against a fence so they get probably more shade than they should. That's probably why they are not scorched to death. The females have finally started coming. I counted 4 on Friday. There are definitely more now and more every day. I am hoping it continues and I have a decent crop. The first females are looking good so far but I can't tell if they have been pollinated yet. Fingers crossed.

My peppers - jalapeno and orange bell - are a different story. The flowers I do, which are few, drop off after a few days. Before it got hot, they were doing fine. Not now. I figure it's heat stress. I'll keep them well watered and maybe get something when it cools down a bit.

Where are you in Dallas? I'm near White Rock Lake.
locteach wrote:I too live in Dallas and have suffered through no female cucumbers. Hmmfff. I think the heat really stresses out the cukes. I did put up a shade cloth and now the plants have little female friends. They were planted in May. We will have to see what happens.

My watermelon and pumpkin are boy producing plants at the moment. I am hopeful that some friendly girl flowers will drop by soon. It was 108 in my garden this afternoon. I can't even imagine the heat index temp. I felt like I was melting away. My green peppers have yet to produce one flower.

Best wishes.

locteach
Newly Registered

I think we do have similar gardens - I am North of Northwest off Hillcrest. - I am new to Dallas and am container and raised bed gardening. My plants are just hanging on. I am looking forward to the anticipated rain as it will lower temperatures and because I just built 2 rain barrels for watering my garden.

I do have one beet left, several herbs, and I am growing malabar spinach. My bean plants are not producing either. I found out today several of them are infested with aphids and spider mites. I ripped some out today.

I love Northhaven Gardens for my gardening supplies. Do you recommend anywhere else? I went tonight to Half Price books on Northwest and got a great book by J. Howard Garrett - Organic Gardening. I am hopeful to implement some of his strategies in my garden.

Hopefully I will have girl flowers soon on all my plants!! Bring on the rain.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The Dirt Doctor is good people. I have not met him yet, but my friend Paul has had Howard on his podcast, and liked him a lot...and we sure like what he is preaching... :mrgreen:

HG

Hydrogardener
Cool Member

Just to clarify, I am not growing a greenhouse variety. The cucumber in the photo is Bush Champion, and the seeds were purchased at Home Depot. The information concerning male flowers on cucumbers is available at several Ag/Tech college sites and state cooperative extension sites. :wink:

jmoore

locteach wrote:I think we do have similar gardens - <snip>
1. What rain? Maybe in Sept we'll get some :lol:

2. Northhaven is great. I usually just go to Home Depot. I don't have a lot of garden specific stuff just yet.

3. I thought my bean problems were just me. Maybe they'll come around. I've got a few buds but they look weak.

You should stop by the Lake Highlands Community Gardens sometime. It's awesome. I'm thinking of buying a plot there for next year, but I do like the convenience of having the garden in the back yard.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”