momof4rugratz

My Spinach :(

Well it bolted. What now... My kids love fresh leaf spinach that was reason they planted it for me. The weather has been nuts here. Last week 60 and 30 at night week before 70 before that almost 90 night was 51 next week it is suppose to be 90-95 and 40-50 at night. No clue what is going on we never get these temps timm July. I am in Northers Utah feel like am in St George :( What should I do.

[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/Garden5-12-09011.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/TeaParty010.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/TeaParty009.jpg[/img]

Curly

I'm no expert, but I'd simply continue planting more spinach. It grows fast, doesn't it? It's one of those plants that needs to be planted in succession, about two or three weeks apart. That way you'll always have great fresh spinach. If you also have swiss chard, you could use those leaves as a replacement whenever there's no spinach ready.

momof4rugratz

Do you think the leaves are ediable right now...I hate to toss the whole plant :( I wont be doing any more spinach right now...

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Many greens become bitter when they set seed, but the only way to tell for sure is just to pick a leaf and nibble at it.

If it tastes OK, then steam it a little (or microwave for a brief time, until it becomes limp). Nibble again.

If it tastes good, harvest it NOW, because tomorrow it may become bitter, and you'll have to go through the whole rigamarole again. :(

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

elevenplants

Spinach is NOT a hot weather plant. Remember that next year and get it in EARLY. I planted mine in February here in Zone 7, and had plenty until a week or so ago, when it began to bolt.

Rebecca

applestar
Mod

From the photo, not ALL the spinach have bolted. To protect the remaining spinach, first thing I would do is to water them well -- maybe with compost tea or kelp (kind of vitamins for the plants so they can fight off the stress) -- and then pile mulch between the rows/plants (keeps the soil cool and prevents drying out). I usually use straw but people use other materials too. It also helps to shade them -- you can buy shade fabric at gardening stores and farm supply stores or get some sheer fabric -- old curtains -- maybe through Freecycle? I have 2' high fence around my garden already so I just cloth pin the fabric to the the fence, but you get the idea. If the fabric hangs down too much in the middle, I tie strings across the fence to support the fabric.

Good luck!

momof4rugratz

We did a latus little fence today because the neighbor kids keep getting in it. Sad I have 5 kids all love the garden and treat it like gold have forever been like that even at otherpeoples houses. The 3 neighbor boys have no care about my place and I am so hurt that they found it amuzing to take off with the tags for the plants and we had to guess what it all was :( I still have no clue where the spinach is or if I have yellow orange or red peppers or which is banana peppers. I informed the mother next door she said o kids will be kids. Her kids are 12 9 8 4 old enough to know right and wrong :( sorry had to let it out.

applestar
Mod

Well, you know, I understand your disappointment on behalf of your kids, but it might have been the 4 yr old... and right next door, no one might have been watching so closely. It may not have been done maliciously.... (If it was, though, I agree that the attitude of their mother leaves something to be desired.)

Tags can be lost for other reasons too -- sometimes birds and animals pull them out (I've had a bird fly off with one once -- for what reason I have NO IDEA! :roll: ) or someone can accidentally knock them over, bury them, step on them, etc. Handwritten tags can fade or get grimed over with dirt.

So, next time, encourage your kids to draw a map of the garden -- graph paper works well and it's kind of educational too :wink:, for them to take measurements of the garden area and mark down where all the plants were (or will be) planted.

It helps, too, if you show the neighborhood kids your garden. Even little ones like 3 yr olds and 4 yr olds will ask you what you're doing and ask to help. There's a 7 yr old boy that my kids are friends with -- lives a few houses down the street -- He proudly told us that he has his own little garden bed this spring and he gets to pick whatever he wants to grow. Not to be outdone, my kids showed him THEIR own garden beds. :lol: :wink:

momof4rugratz

I wish it would of been done so innocent but it wasnt and that was the sad thing. The boys all 3 got upset at my kids for doing the garden and not playing with them. So they took and threw a basketball in the green bean and they took al the tags and where caught red handed then the 8 yr old came over and took the strawberry plants hide them in his bedroom. When I asked why he said because I told Dakoda to play with me or I was going to be mean. I havent a clue what to do. My boys are not happy playing with them. At same time I want then to voice why to the kids so they understand but my 10 yr old Dakoda is very shy and is a sweetheart. Very femenin and doesnt like to play guns or throw rocks at cars Yes they do that. The whole neighborhood is upset with this not sure what will take place on that only lived here 4 months

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”