momof4rugratz

Green Beans so sad

Well I no clue again here. I figured they would do good but wow what a mess 3 plants like this tomato green beans and few strawberries :( same location

green beans
[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/MarkPapers4008.jpg[/img]

strawberries
[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/MarkPapers4009.jpg[/img]

tomato
[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/MarkPapers4010.jpg[/img]

Here is nice plants in ground
[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/MarkPapers4007.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/MarkPapers4003.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j78/momof3rugratz/Garden%202009/MarkPapers4004.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

First the beans. They look like they have been nipped by frost. Another thing, way too many plants in that pot. I would take out the sickly looking ones and leave the three best plants.

For the other things, I am curious what kind of soil you put in the pots, and did you add fertilizer? Too much fretilizer can cause the leaves to wilt, turn yellow and look burned. That is the impression I get looking at the tomato.

If you were in a humid location I might suspect some fungus attack, but not in dry Utah? Maybe you get lots of humidity from the lake?

Hey, I am just over the hill from you in Cache Valley. I don't garden in pots, but prefer to put the plants in the soil we are blessed to have on the lot.

We had a light frost three days ago. I had left my peppers (nursery stock still in the pots) outside and two of the plants got damaged and the rest survived fine. I guess I just lucked out?

momof4rugratz

I was in Logan till Dec so nice to meet you :) Well I think you might be right on the tomato. I looked at them this morning the tomatoes look great the plant is yellow and droopy. Can I save her. The green beans I put in the pot till I saw what ground I had. I use miracle grown. With the strawberries I placed a light layer of wood chips to keep the dirt off them. The ones in the ground did good the ones int he pot look so bad.

Any clue what I should do before I lose it all :(

momof4rugratz

I forgot to add we are not humid here at all been so nice out Yesturday was 75. The night has been 45. I did not water last night and I was not going to water today and see how it all looks in morning. Maybe I should water only in morning night is to cold maybe. Yes we had the rain storm hit us last week so hard and it was the night I planted the beans.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

If you think you have over-fertilized, the only cure is to give it lots of water so some of the fertilizer will be leeched out. Try that and see how it goes.

I have had much better luck on strawberries planting them in the ground. The few times I tried containers for strawberries, they sent out runners to the ground and those new plants out did the parent plants by far in the production of fruit.

Hope you can save those plants.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

This is a good time to plant beans from seed right in the garden if you have some space. I planted 2 varieties; Jade and Strike, yesterday.

Good luck.

momof4rugratz

I planted bean seeds almost 1 month ago and so far nothing :( We are a huge family there is 7 of us. The 4 boys eat like bog grown men and my soon to be hubby Sept 5th WOOHOO eats like a horse to so we decided this year was are garden starting year and we will learn from all mistakes :) He is going to plant the tomato plant next to the other plant that he planted 1 month ago. If we do not see beans poping up in the next week I will plant these in there space and PRAY HARD LoL. I have watermelon in the window I need to also plant. I put seeds down for those a month ago still nothing but yet the window plants are NICE. Maybe I havent a green thumb after all and need to stick to house plants :(

farmers tan

The problem with you bean seed is that it is still too cold to germinate. Beans require a soil temperature around 60 degrees to germinate with much success. You might have to replant those. When you do use an innoculant to help aid in germinate and also nitrogen fixation. You can buy this at you local greenhouse for about $7 and it should be enough to do about 150 feet. The plants do look like they have been hit with frost. The other possibility is poor water drainage in the containers. If you have water building up in the bottom due to poor drainage (I.e. solid bottom containers) it can effect the roots and cause them to rot. While the soil might look dry on the top, it could still be very, very, soggy a couple of inches down (right in the root zone). You can dig down a little bit and check or an easier way is next time you water, lift the container and see if water runs out the bottom of your pot. If it does not, this could be your problem. This could also explain why the plants in the soil are doing so much better too because there will be much better drainage there. Your watermelon can't be planted outside until temperatures are close to 70 degrees each day and all possible danger of frost is past. Melons don't tolerate cold weather well at all. It might not effect the plant today but your harvest will be minimal at best. Good Luck!

momof4rugratz

I do not plan to water today because it seems the wind is making it chilli here. The nights are like 45 now which is warm and the day is 70 to 75.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”