Nathan Reed

Unknown bug on wonderberry plants

does anyone know what these things are? I left them alone because they didn't seem to be eating the berries but they've completely taken over one of my wonderberry plants and then spread to others and now the plants look messed up :/

I don't like killing things unless I absolutely have to which is why I left them alone at first (plus I haven't learned the difference between the bad and benificial bugs yet) but I can see they're a problem now...does anyone know what these are, or what I can do about them? :(
Attachments
parent
parent
hatched egg shells
hatched egg shells
cluster of babies recently hatched
cluster of babies recently hatched
baby
baby

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Those are Leaffooted Bugs. Nasty, stinky, bad guys. Destroy! :twisted:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

They're really fast! My method is to go around with a cup of soapy water. I sneak it under them, especially if they are mating, and briskly knock them into the the soapy water. Scrape the eggs into the soapy water. Brush the babies into the soapy water, or crush them.

My husband walks around the garden and crushes them with his hands. GROSS! They stink and make gross crunchy sounds...total gag worthy stuff!

Neem oil disturbs their reproductive abilities, so it may be a good idea to spray with that.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”