StevePots

Anybody recognize this caterpillar? With mugshots.

Found this guy chewing on my baby collard greens. Does not seem too phased that the plants are treated with Neem oil.
I looked around and found 2 more.

New to bugs so if you know what it is or know how to give them the boot let me know. Oh and I still have hardly any predators. I'm told the good bugs are going to be even less now during fall and winter (I'm in Florida so no snow) but the bad bugs will still be out in droves.

I guess I'm looking for an organic solution other than predators.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is just known as "striped garden caterpillar." Here's a picture complete with the eyespots:

https://lh6.ggpht.com/4gqGmNUyfXazaY1HyD ... X3c_k=s580

It is the larval form of .... (guess) .... the striped garden caterpillar moth, trichordestra legitima, a very non-descript little brown moth.

"Organic insecticides that control caterpillars include those containing Bacillus thuringiensis, a bacterial disease that only controls [affects] caterpillars and is commonly referred to as B.t. B.t. is sold as Dipel, Thuricide, and several other brand names, and is most effective if applied when caterpillars are small. Spinosad is another option for controlling caterpillars organically. Derived from a soil dwelling bacterium, spinosad is the active ingredient in several insecticides, including Captain Jack’s Dead Bug Brew and Greenlight Spinosad Lawn and Garden Spray."
https://pender.ces.ncsu.edu/2013/09/con ... e-gardens/

trichordestra would indicate three cords, or lines, probably referring to the stripes.

StevePots

Thank you very much. I geus I am going to have to expand my organic pesticide collection past Neem oil and Ivory soup. lol
On the plus side I was sort of not too mad to see the little guy. I was like "Yay it's not thrips, this looks like it might be easy to prevent"

imafan26
Mod

I helps if you treat your turf areas as well where the moths lay their eggs. Many of the caterpillars are active in the fall in the turf and expand feeding to peripheral areas as their numbers grow.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”