Pathfinder
Cool Member

Tomato bud yellow stalk

Hey Guys,

returning again with more organic tomato challenging problem.

figure out this, tomato planted in the garden this time ( different from the others in containers ), looking healthy however, the stalk of the buds is yellow !! the flower hasn't opened yet !! ,,, Why is this happening ?! ............... :? TEMPERATURE 73-75 F

healthy tomato:
Yellow bud:

HEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Cola82
Green Thumb

Sometimes the plant just decides it can't deliver on the promise of every bud it produces. This happened to about 10% of buds on my tomatoes last year but the plants overall were fine and I still had more tomatoes than I knew what to do with.

Just give it time and see how it does. If more than 10% of buds succumb to this kind of thing, maybe it's something. But it isn't always.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

these are the first two buds !! ,,,, we're in June !! ,,, my guess is over-watering.

applestar
Mod

Once the flower stem turns yellow like that, it's likely to fall off. Like Cola said, it just happens sometimes. But the good news is losing the extra buds could help the rest of the fruits in the same cluster grow bigger.

Why do you think it has been overwatered?

I do say those leaves cupping/curling upward could also be indication of overwatering. The leaves cupping could indicate something else, though -- what variety is this tomato?

Pathfinder
Cool Member

undeterminate same as the others, however, I do think it is over-watered cause I have been watering every day since it is in the ground and weeds should be pulling some of the water.

today it is between 80-85 F, so I hope excess water will evaporate ... the tomato is cupping an pointing up but there are no signs of fungi, disease. Tomato is bright green an healthy, so I think it is trying to lose water, the garden soil is clay too.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”