Pathfinder
Cool Member

is that a beneficial insect on my eggplant?!

Hey guys,

alright this is dead serious, my eggplant is the only healthy plant for now well along with the peppers. When I just came back, I found this on my eggplant !! is that a beneficial or a predator ?! did he cause these holes ?! .... please help !!

applestar
Mod

It looks like some kind of a grasshopper -- maybe a katydid? Hmm the back legs don't look quite right -- so I doubt it is a beneficial predator.

Are those holes? I can't quite see. Is that top layer of the leaf peeled off?

Pathfinder
Cool Member

click the picture, it is very clear, yeah these are holes ... did it make these holes ?! isn't it one of the protectors who eat bugs ?! ,,, if he wasn't a beneficial shouldn't he eat the leaf from the outside ?! .... the leaves are perfect, but I edited the image on my PC.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

I am gonna kill it .... waahahhahahahahahahhahahhhahahahaaaaaa

edit: .... and compost it ....... :twisted:

applestar
Mod

Ah ha! I see now. I'm looking at the color of the container through the holes :idea:)

applestar
Mod

Wait! Don't kill it yet! Just found a reference to carnivorous katydid in Africa. Didn't you say you are in the Middle East? Close enough to get African species?
The African katydids of the subfamily Saginae are predators
https://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top ... 86/katydid

If I could catch it, I would put it in a jar with holes in the lid or rubber banded cloth lid and try giving it a small piece of the eggplant leaf and an insect that the carnivorous katydid is supposed to eat. Or look for other ways to ID it.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

you were late ..too late ... he's in the compost bin !! hahahahahahaha..... he was eating my eggplant leaves ... those leaves have been fighting off white fly which are swarming my eggplant, my peppers and of course my wretched tomatoes !!

do you know of an organic fungicide to kill the white flies but not burn the leaves ?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

why would you want a fungicide to kill whiteflies, which are clearly not fungi? White flies are susceptible to being sprayed with soapy water. (Be sure to use real soap, not detergent which can burn your plants.)

Pathfinder
Cool Member

@ rainbowgardener, LOL sorry I didn't even pay attention to the word fungicide, should've said pesticide. How do I know that the soapy water doesn't have detergent ?! ..... you mean like Fairy dish soap ?! what is the concentration so I don't burn out my leaves and will it dry from evening till the next morning.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what fairy dish soap is, but here in the US most dish "soap" is actually detergent. You need to look for something that says pure soap. In the US products include Dr. Brunners, Murphy's oil soap, Ivory.

Put 1 -2 tablespoons of soap in a gallon of water, or 1-2 teaspoons in a quart/liter of water. Maybe add a few drops of salad oil to help it stick.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

besides a gallon of water is more than a liter, also do you mean olive oil ? usually oil resides on the top, it doesn't mix.

So it should be mentioned that this soap doesn't contain detergents. right ?

would natural olive soap work ??

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes a gallon is more like 4 liters. That's why it says TABLE spoons for gallons and TEA spoons for quarts/liters.

Shavings from the olive soap should work.

Olive oil would be fine. Shake it up to emulsify.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

thanks for the info, some people are trying a yellow paper with petroleum jelly on it, they say white flies are attracted to the yellow color and will stick and die.
how effective is that ?!

Pathfinder
Cool Member

alright the olive soap didn't cut it, I applied fairy dish soap, quite frankly I have no idea if it contains detergents or not, applied 1 tablespoon to 1 and a half liter of water ... it did it for the period of the night, the next day, there were white fly but not at the same numbers.

My third tomato plant has 2 small tomatoes on it, one that has been this size for about a month and the other only 1 week old and they're still small. actually this is the only tomato producing something. My guess is that the whitefly infestation can stun tomatoes and most night shades ... anyway I went berserk today and said what the heck they're not doing good anyway, so I put 3 table spoons of Fairy dishsoap diluted to 1 and half liter of water in my sprayer and sprayed everything I have from tomato to eggplants to peppers.

well as a best case scenario I would expect an irradication of white flies and their eggs !! but if this dish soap had detergent ... what is the worst case scenario what effects I would notice ?!

applestar
Mod

Worst case --The leaves will turn black and die. Peppers especially are sensitive and droplets of the soapy water lingering on the leaf tips will dry, get concentrated and make them turn black from leaf tip first.

I would now go and rinse everything off with water. Soapy water works within 10-15 minute or they don't. Leaving them on won't help any. In addition, the soapy water will also kill beneficial insects. Then you won't have any to help with the resurgence of the pests.

If you have cordless vacuum cleaner, you could suck up white flies.

I also run sudsy hands over the plants rather than spray -- whiteflies fly up when disturbed and stick to the bubbles. I rinse the plants off afterwards.

-- I posted this once before -- I was going to do this with a bed of potatoes because I noticed a cloud of whiteflies when I disturbed the leaves, then on the next plant, several tiny praying mantis babies scuttled off. So. I DIDN'T treat the plants since the Jr. Garden Patrol was already on the job. :wink:

Pathfinder
Cool Member

that's why you're a star :) it is just bad luck I don't get any beneficial, I was hoping that green insect was a beneficial but it turned to be a grasshopper, I even collected spiders ( not mites ) but they didn't like it to be in containers under the sun, so they fled after seconds of putting them, also soaking the plants, I don't think that spider webs do like water.

I am going to rinse them now before the sun rises, good thing it is cloudy today !! we're in June !! that will give me sometime to soak them then let them dry.
will report the whitefly causalties.

I read somewhere that the middle east is a native for white flies, hence my tragedy :cry: ...I am confident however, they are able to stun a tomato plant growth.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

alright checked out my tomato, there seem to be none left, same for the peppers, killed only 2 on the eggplant ... rinsed them with clean water, shouldn't dish soap evaporate anyway ?!

I hope they don't return !! fingers crossed !!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, the soap/detergent doesn't evaporate. Just the water evaporates out of it, leaving residue behind.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

The sun came out, leaf burns occurred on 1 tomato for now, none on eggplants or pepper, let's see what will happen at the end of the day.

Pathfinder
Cool Member

do they ever disappear ?! like a life cycle or something ?! ... looks like the battle with the white fly is a long one, when I apply the dishsoap none can be found, when I clean off the residue the next day they return when the plant dries out

applestar
Mod

Did you say you tried yellow sticky traps? I use bright yellow plastic containers, drink cups, or plastic utensils (spoons and knives) slathered with unpetroleum jelly for indoor plants.

But usually. I start by catching spiders in a cup and putting them on the plants to see if they would stay and eat the pests.

(I won't belabor about predators outside anymore. Not helpful I realize, if you don't have any in the garden. )

Pathfinder
Cool Member

every spider I catch is gone the next day, you see, after all it is a bit complex as I have examined, spiders don't like the sun and plants need sun, spiders don't like it when you spray with soapy water not because of the soap but because of the water that destroy their nets.

I still didn't try the yellow trap, but I will it seems dish soap burned leaves. I am pretty much sure that my plant is stunted because of the white flies, all other factors are in spec. The only plant that seem to be working despite the flies are the peppers

The egg plant even though it is healthy ( the leaves are bigger than my hands wide open ) is infested again, after I wiped the first infestation
even though we have a garden, I haven't found any beneficial, here's a pic, tell me if this one is a beneficial, found it on my tomato just now:

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”