Greens

Diatomaceous Earth

Has anyone ever used this? I just bought a bag and layed 2" wide rings around the base of my plants. Ive just discovered a ear wig infestation. I mean theres a lot. Last night they were everywhere and for the past week ive noticed small inconsistent bite marks on some of my tomatoes leaves. I have found the culprit.

Anyways, my question is...I accidently got a bit of this diatomaceous earth on the leaves of my plants. A light dusting but one of my strawberries got hit pretty good by an accidental dump. Should I be worried about this at all? Can any harm come from the D. Earth on the leaves?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

DE is completely inert and won't do any damage to the leaves.

hopefully it's agricultural grade DE. the stuff used in pool filters is processed differently and does not do much for insect control.

earwigs, btw, most often pick on dead vegetation. they might not be the problem - but in "masses" they have been known to damage live tissue.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

When I use DE, I often put it on the leaves as well as around the base of the plant. I think it is more effective that way. And quite safe.

imafan26
Mod

Diatomaceous earth is made up of skeletons of tiny sea creatures (diatoms). They won't hurt your plants. They are good for slug and snail control because it is like walking barefoot on broken glass to them. The downside is that DE usually doesn't work as well once it gets wet or gets washed off with rain.

Greens

thanks everyone. the earwig issue is quite massive. practically everywhere. 1st year garden so theres a lot to work out. ive been spraying with neem 1-2 times a week so not too worried about my leaves as much but focused on keeping the earwigs away from certain perimeters until they go elsewhere. It rained tonight. light sprinkle so ill need to reapply tomorrow morning. may work a bit tonight but hopefully theyve already begun weeing out. Just a wait and see game. ill be reapplying DE tomorrow morning. Not supposed to rain. cross my fingers.

brinboise

Dillbert wrote:DE is completely inert and won't do any damage to the leaves.

hopefully it's agricultural grade DE. the stuff used in pool filters is processed differently and does not do much for insect control.
I have some DE left from my old pool filter-not used, in bags. If it isn't ag grade is there a good use for it around my garden or yard?

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

in short, no.

DE for filtering process produces rounded edges/corners/non-sharp grains.

DE for bug-slitter-upper action has sharp edges.

it certainly won't do any harm digging it into a flower/veggie bed as a 'filler' / drainage aid, but for making garden pests dehydrate and die, not gonna work.....

applestar
Mod

My understanding is that pool grade DE s hazardous to human respiratory system like asbestos. Don't use it in the garden where it can be blown about. (how do you handled/use it for the pool filter? :? )

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

where is it written that ag grade DE is not hazardous on inhalation?

applestar
Mod

I hope someone can verify as I don't have time to go looking for links, but last time I looked into it, the heating process creates clumped sharp shards in the processed pool grade DE, like fiberglas and asbestos, that your body can't do anything to eliminate -- I.e. can be carcinogenic -- whereas the raw minute DE powder, while sharp enough for the insects and creates dry feeling in your throats and can cause respiratory distress, CAN be ejected, eliminated, or processed by ordinary biological mechanism of larger mammals.

shadylane
Green Thumb

This may be of some concern, I would not use this even though they say it's good for what ales ya..for you and your pets...even more disturbing they now claim it can lower blood pressure..."It's a cure all Tonic" Even used in foods mixed in sugar and corn syrup.
Even on sites for organic gardening lables give warrnings of use.

Found a few sites Applestar hope this is a helping hand..

https://www.ehow.com/facts_5593312_dange ... earth.html

https://www.livestrong.com/article/51074 ... -internall

Here is a site that shows how to use it... giving no reports on the harm effects except don't breath it, wear a mask, and eye protection. scroll down to precautionary statements

https://www.bugspray.net/labels/de_crawl ... t_dust.pdf

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

The DI I have used in the garden I use also in the hot tub. I don't know of any difference. Unless the rain is such as to wash it into the ground it is still sharp and still not fun for one footed creatures, if you can see it on or in the soil they can feel it.

DI once used in a filter is covered with oil and lint, in a short time the oil leaves and most of the lint and it is again uncomfortable to the single footed, like slugs.

If you or you children have a microscope, look for a difference in batches intended for different uses.

No dust is worth breathing.

applestar
Mod

At the livingstrong link shadylane posted, I believe this is part of what I was referring to:
Crystalline silica forms when diatomaceous earth is heated to very high temperatures, and this form of silica may cause lung disease.

Read more: https://www.livestrong.com/article/51074 ... z2SpWPWCNI

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

I agree I wouldn't want it in my lungs. I've heard of people taking it internally, not sure I would that.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”