imafan26
Mod

Re: Silky cocoons on my rosemary plants???

It is unusual for me to see spider mites so early in the year.

Baking soda spray usually works with spider mites.

At this time of the year you can add neem or horticultural oil instead of soap. Oil cannot be used if day temps exceed 80 degrees ( That's almost everyday here).

1/4 cup baking soda
1 tbs horticultural oil
1 gallon of water
1/2 cup of isopropyl alcohol

Spray undersides of leaves as well as tops. If the plant is in a pot. Cover the soil media with a bag. Invert the plant into a bucket with the solution and dunk to cover all the leaves. It is best to do this early in the morning while the weather is still cool.

In summer, I replace the oil with insecticidal soap. Oil will burn the plant in the heat.

Other recipes add vinegar and lemon juice, but it has to be hosed off the plant soon after or it can burn.

Bt should work on the caterpillar. Don't get the mosaquito preventer, that is formulated specifically for mosquitoes and does not work on caterpillars. I miss dipel dust. Anybody know where I can get some?

https://www.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/id/id156/id156.pdf

Wwwatch
Newly Registered

I just found a bunch of worms in my relatively young rosemary.

I just used blendtec powdered up bunch of dried chilly and pepper and dust it onto the plant. (Do wear your facemask) I picked out a worm and dusted it. Looks like it died.

I spray down the plant with water prior to dusting so powder sticks. I bet this will prevent any further invasion.

4Cats&1lady
Newly Registered

I just discovered these on my Rosemary. The worms are about the size of inch worms, light green with a black stripe running the length of their back. I pulled about 6 off the plant. They seem to weave a web around several leaves on or more stems and eat the leaves inside the web. I squashed all I could find. Does anyone know what they are and how to be sure I have eliminated them?

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”