pizzarrhea
Cool Member

Organic Pesticide suggestions?

Hey guys, what's up?
I recently purchased a container of "Organocide" from my local Home Depot.
Has anyone used this? I'm new to gardening so I'm kind of iffy about using it directly on the plants, I spray around my vegetable plants but I want to take a more effective approach. Has anyone used this? Comments?

Pizza

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The Organocide is 5% sesame oil and most all the rest is fish emulsion or fish oil. It should be safe to use, though you still wouldn't want to drink the stuff. It is OMRI certified. I looked around and did not find anything negative about it re things like honeybee toxicity.

Let us know how it works!

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

thanks rainbowgardner! I applied the organocide today. I also noticed on some of my tomato plants on the lower leaves theres tiny little holes on them, obviously from insects. should I remove the lower branches? an employee at a local nursery said that's what you should do but I'm not 100% sure he knew what he was talking about. feel free to move this to the tomato forum, I figured it related to the pesticides soooo I posted it!

pizza

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You definitely want to remove all the tomato leaves at least far enough up so that no leaves touch the dirt.

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

is that to prevent disease from the soil or to keep the little bugs off the leaves or both?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

probably a little of both, but especially soil-borne disease...

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

so my dad wanted to see the garden tonight and I showed him ( keep in mind it's like 11:30 pm here ) and under some of my plants I saw a few little bugs, idk if they were earwigs or termites ( do they mess around in vegetable gardens? ) but there were a TON of them under my sweet 100 plant. they were just hanging around though, is that normal?
also, I know this is kind of weird but, I made my garden around the stump of a tree that we removed. so I don't know if that would have an effect on why they are there.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”