WiseWords
Newly Registered

Portulacaria Afra in serious need of help...Advice Welcome

Hi Everyone

I am looking for some advice please on some plants that I have an issue with but before I start please allow me to bring up to speed so you can get a better picture.

I am in the middle of relocating so my plants were placed at my relatives whom are not so green fingered. While the plants were in the conservatory they were doing fine during spring and summer. I stopped watering around Oct before the frost and moved them indoors into the living room South East facing, only that while I was away the temp went high due the log burner so I thought I would place them on the other side of the house but still South East facing.

I have not watered them since Oct and I am wondering if that’s the issue or it’s something else, now in the new room that’s South Facing I would say it does not drop to low as this house is rather warm but the windows may become cooler than normal at night during the winter months.

The Portulacaria Afra Straight Green did have a few leafs lost but not many. See photo below.

The Portulacaria Afra Bi-Color also had a few but I would say had the least loss of leafs. See photo below.

All three Portulacaria Afra Variegata are suffering the most which has brought me here, in the hope I can save these plant’s before I return back down south which is some way away.

Do I water them now or wait till late march as I think the plants will not hold up that long, it’s not a light issue as all are on the same shelf. I have some new leafs coming but it’s like the whole plant has lost everything this worry’s a little.

I was wondering if it’s water and that’s the reason for loss however I thought this are best not watered during the winter months.

Can someone please advise why the plant has lost so many leafs.

I would be so grateful of someone advice who has had a lot of experience with these plants.

Many thanks in advance Wayne

pow wow

Last fall I took Portulaca cuttings and dipped them in root hormone and into a flat. I kept them under lights on my plant rack and kept them well watered until I knew they had rooted. I didn't have any cuttings die. I did let them wilt a bit between watering after they started to grow.

Your plants look pretty big for the pots they are in. I would repot, water and feed and keep in the light.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Not watered since October sounds beyond extreme. Hopefully there is still some life left in your plants but 4 months without water is scary. I've never heard of not watering potted plants for months at a time. unless they are in some kind of cool/dark dormancy, like Canna rhizomes or Colocasia bulbs. Please don't read any more advice from that source.

(Portulacaria and Portulaca are 2 different genera.)

djlen
Green Thumb

I have quite a few "Ports" and have for years. They thrive outside in the Sun in Summer and look like death warmed over in the Winter when I bring them inside. They drop leaves and then grow them back when I put them out in Spring. I wouldn't worry about them. Definitely, less water as they are pretty much dormant in the Winter. I would go 1/2 to 1/4 the water till longer days in Spring and then start increasing water as you get ready to put them out.
Also, don't feed them in Winter. Doesn't matter how much light you give them. I have them under a ton of fluorescent light and it doesn't matter. They are just resting.

djlen
Green Thumb

Where are you located?

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”