summersun

Please help ID

Hi folks, and a very happy 2017 to you all!

I have recently fallen in love with succulents and have added a few more plants to my collection. Could you please help me identify these. I think I may have worked out a few of them from google, but I'm very new to succulents (and plants in general), so I could be wrong. Any names you can give me will be much appreciated.

I have listed below what I think might be the common name and the botanical name. If I am wrong please let me know, and please fill in the blanks. :)

1 - Panda Plant - Bryophyllum delagoense or Kalanchoe tomentosa
2 - Cinnamon Bunny Ear - Opuntia microdasys subsp. rufida
3 - ***NO IDEA****
4 - Mother of thousands - (possibly Kalanchoe laetivirens or Kalanchoe daigremontiana but they look so similar)
5 - ***NO IDEA****
6 - ***NO IDEA****
7 - ***NO IDEA****
8 - Mother of Millions - Bryophyllum delagoense, Kalanchoe tubiflora 

If it helps, these succulents are all very tiny, even no. 6 which looks like an aloe.

Thanks again,
And happy gardening in the new year!

xx
Attachments
Collage_Fotor!@_Fotor13.jpg

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

#1, 2, 8= totally agree.
#4 could be one of several Kalanchoes. Are the leaves reddish on the back? Are you able to add another pic of it?
#5 looks like Orbea/Huernia
#6 Aloe or Haworthia. many species of both

summersun

Hi and thank you for your very quick reply. I have attached 2 photos I just took (the others were taken about a month ago the day I bought these). No the leaves are green on the back. Just the edges are reddish. And now they seem to be growing little babies at the tip of the leaves (1st pic). The very bottom 2 leaves are a bit yellowy, but they came that way, possibly due to lack of sun....?

Any idea about no. 3. Initially I though it may be an Echeveria but now I'm thinking maybe Graptopetalum macdougallii...? Any ideas?

xx
Attachments
4278ad591ebaffc6b10f23aef35fee7d8cd227e28849c5ee4de1b3883a5fe749.jpg
cc88b9e40a41f03209e4dd3810d676b97d52ccf91c5f2da4211f9bf1978d8259.jpg

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Happy to suggest. I don't even have a guess for #3.

Your Kal is puzzling. Resembles laetivirens except for the reddish edges and the leaves lack a curled lip where leaf body meets petiole. Maybe it's an anomalous individual or other species I haven't met yet. From the way the babies are forming on the leaves while the leaves are attached to the plant, it's probably one of the ones that also go by Bryophyllum (mother of thousands/millions.) As it ages, if kept in such great-looking condition, it should bloom within a year or 2 and satisfy any remaining curiosity.

summersun

Yes this is a tough one. They all look so very similar. I am now also seeing similar pictures in Kalanchoe longiflora.
I do find it strange that the babies are forming on the top most/newest set of leaves rather than the older leave towards the bottom.
2 babies fell off today (and by that I mean, it broke off while I was touching it). So I set them in a little planter. Fingers crossed they root and grow a new plant.

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

I predict the mama leaves won't take root but should produce a lovely crop of babies at the edge. Let us know!

summersun

Noticed a few more babies have fallen off. I will set them in some soil. Will keep you posted. I'm so so excited. So many babies. Ohhh succulents make me so happy. :-() :D

purpleinopp
Green Thumb

Totally agree! I have 20 kinds of Kalanchoe & tons of other succulents.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”