evanm
Newly Registered

Repotted aloe falling apart

I repotted an aloe plant that my husband dropped, but it seems like it's only getting worse. It lost some leaves in the middle after he dropped it, and now the stem is a yellowish white and the top of the plant is leaning over. The bottom leaves still look somewhat healthy, as do the top ones, somehow, but there's just a kink right in the middle. I really want to save this plant but I'm concerned it may be beyond help. Do I repot it again? Separate the top and bottom? I repotted it about 2 weeks ago, for context. How long does it usually take for the plant to adjust to being in a new pot? I attached pictures.
Attachments
plant 2.JPG
plant 1.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It looks like one of the leaves broke off but a new one is coming out. I think it looks like it will survive, with battle damage. It may not really look perfect though as the plant was damage near the terminus. You could cut off the wrinkled leaf and if it is good, you could use it to make leaf cuttings to start more.

evanm
Newly Registered

Awesome thank you! I don't mind if it has battle scars, I'm very attached to it.

baileysup
Green Thumb

I'm wondering if its getting enough light. That is new growth at the top, so that's good. Your aloe should make it, just let her rest. The cool thing is your aloe will be unique, and like no other. I've been here myself, so I can say you might be surprised to find yourself appreciating it just as much as a perfect aloe. Later on you can look back on everthing you've been through. It's memories like these that make the best plant friends :)

baileysup
Green Thumb

Also, let it be known that I had some fun with that last post. What I said was true, but I'm not a crazy plant person. Really, I'm not ;)

evanm
Newly Registered

Hahaha I like the idea of this aloe being my best plant friend.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Aloe is easy to grow. It makes new growth out of the center of the plant. Is sends up new shoots that get taller and larger that should grow 12" tall in 3 months. It does not like direct sun light but it loves lots of indirect sun light. It loves 70 degree weather. If that were my plant I would cut off all the damaged lower leaves. Put it in a larger pot so you can plant it deeper. Plant the whole plant body so only the tip end sticks out of the soil. Aloe likes sandy soil but it is not extremely sensitive to too much water and wet soil like a cactus plant. When I lived in Phoenix Arizona I had my Aloe plants under the edge of the roof, AZ roofs have no rain gutters so my plants got flooded in the smallest rain. My Aloe plants did all their growing in winter Nov to May 70 degrees every day and 35 at night. In summer in 85 to 114 degree heat plants did not grow. I started out with 5 small plants and ended up with about 700 plants some were 3 feet tall 50 lbs each. Root bound plants will not make babies yours probably will if you get a larger pot. I would not use a pot smaller than 16" diameter if you want the mother plant to make babies. The more you restrict the roots the slower it grows and may not make babies. What is your geographical location? If you are getting snow and cold weather keep it in the house. Phoenix has 3 weeks of cold weather in Feb it got down to 21 degrees several times at night and never hurt my Aloe but it did kill palm trees and desert plants and warmed up to 65 during the day. Aloe has grow habits about like cactus put it in a tiny pot so it is root bound it will grow extremely slow, never grow large and never make babies. Babies pop up all around the outside of the mother plant when they are 4 to 6" tall transplant the babies so they become mother plants too. If you do not transplant the babies mother plant can be 3' tall, babies can be 2' tall, they can have 12" tall babies around them and 6" babies around all those. The mother plant can have 200 plants growing around it if none are ever transplanted. Too much direct sun makes green aloe plants turn brown, move them to a less sunny location they will turn green again.

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”